PDA

View Full Version : Plants for a JD Tank

Jharvey
07-07-2004, 08:17 PM
My JD likes to hide in the fake plants that are in his tank. He rarely hides anywhere else. I would like to add some real plants to the tank. What are some good plants for a JD tank, that would make good hiding places?

thirty2cent
07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
None, theres a good chance that the jd will eat the plant and tear the plant from the ground and rip the roots up, thats why they don't recommend live plants for cichlids. Because cichlids even do that with plastic plants, its just harder for them to shred them.

Rudy
07-07-2004, 09:19 PM
You should have no problem with Java moss, or java fern. Taste like crap and most cichlids figure that out pretty quickly. Looks good too.

thirty2cent
07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
REALLYYYYYYYYYYY, I dunno that, I might make my tank a planted tank with those plants. Somethin to think about.

seered247
07-08-2004, 02:21 AM
yea i have my JD in with some anubis and he went nuts rippin it to shreds but for some reason yea leaves it alone now.

zenobium
07-08-2004, 07:40 AM
I have both java fern and Vallisneria and they both seem to be doing fine. Granted, my fish arent as prolific of diggers as your JD (labs and kenyii), but they dont try to eat it much either.

Heyguy74
07-08-2004, 08:15 AM
When my jaccks were young they were in one of my planted tanks. They were removed after they became about 6 inches. I have some swords and some anubias and they never touched any of the plants. They might have rippec them up when they got larger but now ther're in they own non planted tank. If you want plants for them def try java fern and maybe some anubias. Another good thing is that these plants are low light so you wont have to go and change your lighting on the tank. You may have to fertilize once in a while to keep the plants going good.

Kolorfinz
07-08-2004, 02:56 PM
LOL I just posted this Q on another forum! :D

I was told that madagascar lace and anacharis are being successfully kept in a JD tank as well as some floaters. I'm going to try some banana plants too. I love those banana plants. I don't know why.. LOL

SuperDave9x19
07-12-2004, 08:30 AM
My Jacks are 4.5" long and they tear up the Java Fern and 2 of my 3 Amazon Swords. I imagine as they get bigger my Full Amazon Sword will also be targetted.

But on the flip side, the torn up Java Fern is simply "litter" in the tank. It grows faster than it is destroyed. They just don't do enough damage to destroy the hardy Java Fern. yet.

Jharvey
07-12-2004, 09:07 PM
I just added 2 medium sized Amazon Swords to my tank and the big JD is tearing them up. He is not damageing the plants put pulling them out of the substrate.

I think he is trying to move them.

I added 2 tall plastic plants to the tank also, and the JD pulled them up and moved them into the corner so he could hide in them. So that makes me think that he may be trying to move the swords as well.

If he keeps tearing them up I will move them into his corner and see if he likes that better.

As an experiment, I moved one of the plastic out of his corner to see if he will move it back.

Heyguy74
07-15-2004, 01:47 PM
How's the experiment going?

Jharvey
07-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, the JD keeps uprooting all of the plants, fake and real. So I am not sure what to do. I am going to replant the swords, along with the fake plants, in one clump, to provide a hiding place and see if that works.

Heyguy74
07-16-2004, 10:02 AM
I just read this on another forum sounds like it might work for you.

Try tying your plants to a suction cup and then stick it to the bottom of the tank. Hope this works.

eleazar
09-23-2004, 02:48 PM
I have some large java ferns in my tank in my Jack is always trying to move it, but no damage is done. It's rhyzome is heavy enough to sink the plant if he moves it.

Ryap P White
10-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Plants are a waste of time with cichlids. I bought a rock decoration at wally world specifically because it HAD some very well "rooted" plants attached to it. My oscars and jd's delighted in tearing it to shreds.
They toss around any decorations that i have in the tank. If they can get it in there mouths it getting tossed.

Dempsey88
01-24-2005, 11:24 PM
I had a couple of Jacks a couple years ago, and no rooted plant in my tank stood a chance. They were either nibbled on or found floating on the water surface in the morning. Those little guys dont like plants!