PDA

View Full Version : Firemouths and Salvin's?

carpediembaby7
12-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Hello,

I am new both to this forum and to the cichlid world in general. I have a 29 gallon tank which has been up and running for over 6 months now, and up until recently was a winter home for several dozen platies that, over the summer, procreated in my outdoor pond. I have since given the platies to the local petshop, and now have only a 7+" pleco in the tank. I wanted to get some cichlids, and was interested in the American ones. Convicts were an obvious choice, although I read that they destroy live plants and I would rather that not happen. I was also interested in the firemouths, but wanted to see if I could find another variety that would coexist with them. The Salvin's I saw in a cichlid book looked pretty, and I wondered if those would be adequate tankmates for firemouths. I was thinking a pair of each maybe? If anyone has any opinion on this combo, as well as any other suggestions as to 2 varieties that would be colorful, interesting, and civil towards one another. Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!

Rachel