PDA

View Full Version : Help me stock my new 55G

Convict#03
06-16-2004, 03:52 PM
:D Hey Guys! help me out here! i just got a new 55 Gallon tank and i want to stock it with south american cichlids. this is also my first tank, and im thinking of putting in some Black convicts to start. what other fish do you think i should put in with them?

rsabatini
06-16-2004, 09:58 PM
firemouth bala or redtail sharks
kribensis silver dollars
rainbow cichlid tiger barbs
port acara's corycatfish
blue acara's clown loach
jewel cichlid pleco's

All these fish are compatable with cons as long as you don't overstock,happy hunting & good luck.

oscar_pack
07-02-2004, 12:05 AM
personally i have have an oscar in with my convict pair. i wouldnt recomend this, because my convicts and oscar grew up together, and my convicts usually stick to their cave's entrance. maybe as rsabatani said some firemouths, maybe a gt?? just a guess.

thirty2cent
07-02-2004, 05:52 PM
yeah firemouths would be the best combo with the cons

Firemouth666
08-21-2004, 11:30 AM
yes see i have a 55 gallon tank with two newly bought firemouths and i was wondering what to introduce with them...so i take it convicts would be the best choice?

bevoman
08-21-2004, 12:11 PM
I'd stay away from cory cats. When your cichlids grow, they often try to eat them and their fins can do damage to the cichlids' mouths. My Texas almost died trying to eat one. Just my opinion.

cich1
08-21-2004, 12:37 PM
good suggestions guys.i would think a pair of rainbows and a pair of port acaras with some tiger barbs for action followed by a bushy nose pleco for clean up.:ok:

Firemouth666
08-21-2004, 01:07 PM
I went searching next to rivers a brooks and found some slate rock...ya know the rock that breaks into thin "slices* when dropped.....can i put that in my tank without affecting the water conditions?

seered247
08-22-2004, 03:17 PM
it shouldnt affect the PH. It can be quite dangerous to introduce rock without boiling it first to get rid of unwanted parasites.just make sure to boil it before adding to the tank.

punkypuffer
08-22-2004, 06:43 PM
for other fish to go in there, i recommend fish in the geophagus genus.... they can be quite breathtaking with awesome colors-- brazilienses and juruparis are good choices

gterror
08-23-2004, 05:22 PM
i also heard when getting rock for your tank, put it in bleach for maaaybe a minute. The bleach will show the iron in the rock which can harm your fish. It seriously does not take long for the iron to show, it reacts right away with the bleach. You will be surprised how much iron is in a rock when you cant see it....go pick up extra pieces because about half will have the iron.

Firemouth666
08-24-2004, 10:42 AM
i have a 55g with only two firemouths, which by the way are EXTREMLy awesome fish..I love my firemouths..wouldnt trade them for everything...they got an awesome personality and VERY fun to watch. ANYWAYS back to what i came on here to ask...i wanna know if its being filtered enough...i have a penguin 125 with bio wheel with a Fluval 404 as well....is that enough? and also...can i get more firemouths? or have these two already claimed the tank? and also...would i be able to stock the tank with any other fish? hoping that they wont kill any of them...TIGHT budget here...dont wanna be buying fish for nothing....thanks!

thirty2cent
08-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Well your filtration is more thna enuff, I don't know about the penguin 125 but the fluval 404, im pretty sure is good up to tanks of 100 gallons. Are the firemouths a breeding pair- if so another breeding pair of cons or firemouths would work pretty nicely.

Jaws
09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
First off cons are not SA. They are CA. It really depends how many cons you plan to stock the tank with. If you put two pairs the tank will be pretty much stocked except for a cat, small pleco or some target fish. If you stock with one pair you'll have to be wise with your other fish or the cons may stress them out too much. Most people mix cons with other robust cichlids.