PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a python?

Overawed
12-20-2002, 08:37 AM
I just got myself a 25ft Python for x-mas. Anyone have any experience using these? I already have to go to a hardware store and pick up 35ft of extra tubing.

Scotty
12-20-2002, 09:14 AM
I love my Python :D I have about 12 tanks totaling close to 500 gallons and can do all my water changes in about an hour. With your african tanks, or with any tanks that you use measured additives in, pull out a five gallon bucketful manually, and measure how far the water drops. It's then a simple X inches = Y gallons when you use the Python. Here's something I learned the hard way :rofl: The first time you use it, keep an eye on your sink while "sucking". My drain runs slightly slower than the vacuum. It was the sound of a waterfall coming from the kitchen that tipped me off :oops:

Overawed
12-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Hmmm... maybe I have a bad one, mine could barely lift any waste off the bottom at full water pressure. I am returning it and going back to the old tried and true.

I do water changes to also remove waste, and I guess the python is not capable of doing that on a sandy substrate. I bet it works great on gravel, but one of my tanks is sand. :( Oh well, another return to Wal Mart!

Scotty
12-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Hey Kevin,

Assuming you have good water pressure, are you sure you have the bottom gate fully opened, everything is nice and tight, and the on/off switch near the vac is fully open ? I also vac with my Python on gravel and sand. I have to turn the water down or slightly close the switch on sand because if I didn't, it would vacuum the sand right out of the tank. Try it again and double check everything. A Python should give you much more suction than you're describing.

SGypsyMermaid
12-20-2002, 01:10 PM
my water pressure is not strong enough for my python to suck water out of my bottom tanks, so i still have to use the siphon and bucket for those--but i can still use it to refill them. i wouldn't trade mine for love or money.

StructureGuy
12-20-2002, 01:34 PM
A python is nothing more than a tube with faucet connectors on it. There is not much to this thing that could be defective. How fast the water is sucked out is a function of the diameter of the tube (assuming the valve is fully open) and the difference in height between the top of the water in your tank and the bottom (outlet end) of the python.

So if your sink is only a few feet below your tank then it will be real slow. Now if you started the syphon, unhooked the connector and dangled the python out a second story window it would suck the water out real fast.

Kevin

Overawed
12-20-2002, 01:40 PM
I had a good technique for water changing, I bought the python to aide me, but its has shown itself to be a complete waste of money. I am still returning it. I have good water pressure, and all the connections were tight, so I just think it has something to do with my tank being on the same level as my sink. The old gravity siphon and water hose beats it IMO. The python could barely lift the detrius off the floor.

SGypsyMermaid
12-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by StructureGuy:
A python is nothing more than a tube with faucet connectors on it. There is not much to this thing that could be defective. How fast the water is sucked out is a function of the diameter of the tube (assuming the valve is fully open) and the difference in height between the top of the water in your tank and the bottom (outlet end) of the python.

So if your sink is only a few feet below your tank then it will be real slow. Now if you started the syphon, unhooked the connector and dangled the python out a second story window it would suck the water out real fast.

Kevin
my sink is about 2 feet above my bottom tanks.

Scotty
12-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Hey All, It must be the water pressure difference. Structure Guy, your theory is only partly correct. The pressurized water from the faucet running through the T creates a suction that pulls the water though the hose faster than gravity alone would, assuming you have the water pressure. The sand tank I was referring to is about two inches off the floor and my kitchen sink is about 4' higher. If I ran my tap full blast it would drain that 10 gallon in about two minutes, detritus, sand, fish and all :D At the pet store I worked at as a teen, they had a big slop sink with really strong pressure. That sucker would pull up gravel from low tanks 150' away from the sink if you weren't careful.

Overawed
12-20-2002, 04:39 PM
I guess its something you have to get used to. I returned mine and used the dinero for xmas presents. I have a problem with a regular siphon on sand. I usually start the siphoning and then I disconnect the tube from the vinyl tubing and just use the 1/2 inch tube to get the waste. I tried this with the python as well, but it did not pull good enough and I was worried about getting sand in my in sink errator.

I am in no means saying the product sucks, well actually ... ;) I am just used to cleaning my whole tank and only taking out 20 percent of the water. The python was so slow that it would have taken 60 percent of the water out to get a good waster free tank. I don't even want to think about cleaning my 90g with the python. I am kind of peeved because I really wanted this thing to work. The one thing I did was add a non-python piece of vinyl tubing at the switch to extend it, 25ft is just not enough length. The tube looked a little smaller in circumference, but it fit with no problem. I don't see how that could of caused any problem. And my neighbors always comment on how good our water pressure is in my house. Its so good I've been thinking about renting out the shower! :D So, I guess its just my lame luck and its back to garden hose and siphon I go!

jnorris
12-20-2002, 04:49 PM
The main problem I have with the Python is that my cat likes to chew the tubing and put holes in it. I guess its more of a problem with having a cat.

Overawed
12-20-2002, 04:54 PM
:lol: Try spraying that "NO CAT" stuff on the tubing.

jnorris
12-20-2002, 04:56 PM
I am at that point. The python is the least of my worry. He like canister hoses too......THATS BAD!

I had to shield them with clear UGF tubing.

Overawed
12-20-2002, 05:04 PM
:shock: Canisters are enough of a worry by themselves let alone a cat clawing the tubing up!

jnorris
12-20-2002, 05:06 PM
No he chews the tubing putting puncture holes in the tubing. Eheim tubing is expensive too!

Now his favorite thing is to get on the lower tank when I am not home and sleep. So I am cleaning hair off of the tank constantly....

Fish and Cats don't mix!

Overawed
12-20-2002, 05:12 PM
Crazy stuff J! My cat just uses my fry tanks as a watering hole. I leave him fresh drinking water everyday by his food bowl, but he prefers drinking moving water. There are a few shots of him in the lounge in the "BUSTED" thread.

jnorris
12-20-2002, 05:20 PM
Oh ya the other day he got in the cabinet and ate a bunch of dried krill Algea wafers and some pellets. Perhaps i should just buy fish food for both. Dried krill makes great cat treats. The smell is another thing.

StructureGuy
12-20-2002, 05:39 PM
[quote:9f2e092ad8="Scotty"] snip....Structure Guy, your theory is only partly correct. The pressurized water from the faucet running through the T creates a suction that pulls the water though the hose faster than gravity alone would, assuming you have the water pressure....snip[/quote:9f2e092ad8]

I had no idea that people used the python that way. Isn't that a tremendous waste of water? I guess that I've never thought about it that way because I never had to. I have a bathtub that I drain the bottom tank into, but it slow for me that way. I'm going to try this tommorrow to see how it works "uphill" as the Mermaid says.

Kevin

SGypsyMermaid
12-20-2002, 06:52 PM
i [i:8522dc7697]told you[/i:8522dc7697]...shoot that cat! :twisted:

Scotty
12-20-2002, 07:16 PM
I'll rent out my dog for the day. Your cat problems will disappear....er...well.... actually your "cat" will disappear :wink: Kevin, I'm sure it adds a bit to my water bill, but I work long hours and do OK career wise, so to me, the time saved is more precious than the extra few bucks. I don't think anything that doesn't pollute the water really wastes it. It just goes into the ground and recycles naturally. My planted tank is right near a window by my flower bed though. Maybe I should try draining it into the flowerbed in the summer and watering less. Hmmm....

P.S. to the "other" Kevin (there's entirely too many Kevins in this thread :D ) You mentioned being concerned about clogging your strainer. When I hook up my Python I unscrew the aerator/strainer from the faucet first. Maybe that has something to do with the performance difference :?

jonah
12-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Two of the three sinks in my house have brass Python adapters on them permanently. I use the thing so often that I got tired of putting the aerators back on. Besides, our water is so hard that the aerators got clogged up about every 5-6 months.

I've got to go hug a tree now. :roll:

Cichlid Jeans
01-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I resisted buying a python for a couple of years, thinking it was a wimpy Rube Goldberg contraption. Then I visited someone while he was cleaning his tanks with one. I was literally struck speechless. A bright light went on in my weak mind, which can never be extinguished.

When I think of the thousands of tons of water I hauled in a g@d d@@@@@d bucket, when I think of how I hoisted those buckets over the top of the tanks, when I think of the chaos pouring all that water caused inside the tank, when I remember the accidents and the puddles on the floor, when I think of how many times I put off a water change because it was such a big deal to do it -- how could I have been so utterly stupid?

The Python ranks with the wheel as one of mankind's greatest achievements. If it were taken away from me now, I'd give up fishkeeping and take up knitting. Honest. Well, OK, maybe I'd keep a couple of 10g's with apistos -- can't use the Python for them anyway.

By the way, if you have one of those kitchen sinks with the pull-out faucet head -- the kind with the faucet head on a hose -- you can make things simpler by taking the head off and connecting the Python directly to the hose: a brass or plastic garden hose joiner (half a buck) has the right threads to adapt the hose to the Python.
:wink:

SGypsyMermaid
06-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SGypsyMermaid
my water pressure is not strong enough for my python to suck water out of my bottom tanks, so i still have to use the siphon and bucket for those--but i can still use it to refill them. i wouldn't trade mine for love or money.

OH HAPPY DAY!!! i got a new faucet and now the python works for the bottom tanks, too!! :dance: :party: :dance:

Photorah
06-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SGypsyMermaid
OH HAPPY DAY!!! i got a new faucet and now the python works for the bottom tanks, too!! :dance: :party: :dance:

congratulations!

The python is my favorite thing to but i dont use it to fill my tanks I still use buckets. to hard to regulate temperature. plus i like to pre treat my water like seedy told me to.

but its great for cleaning them out and gravel vacuuming

chc
06-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Funny, I only use mine to refill water...

SGypsyMermaid
06-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by chc
Funny, I only use mine to refill water...

the bottom tanks are a 50, 33, 30, 20, 2 10's, and a 5.

chc
06-14-2004, 09:18 AM
?

skiitswitch
06-14-2004, 09:25 AM
I use one now too - it's awesome, but I fill buckets right in front of my tank and dechlorinate before adding the water in...

chc
06-14-2004, 09:28 AM
I don't go to the troulbe of using buckets. I mix the water and the dechlor. right in the tank.

SGypsyMermaid
06-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by chc
?

too much work to carry buckets.

crazyfishlady
06-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by chc
I don't go to the troulbe of using buckets. I mix the water and the dechlor. right in the tank.

Same here. Never any problems from it, that I have noticed.

Old Hippie
06-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Of Course, I'm sure all you gents know, that the Python is a Venturi pump and the Exact Same Set-Ups have been in use for years to fill and drain waterbeds. I used one for the first time in 1972 for this purpose. I'm not called Old Hippie for nuttin... ya know!

FYI. http://www.bluemagic.com/bluemagicline3.html