PDA

View Full Version : diet concern

k20hatchiko
06-10-2004, 02:20 AM
hello I am new to this forum. anyways I have an extremley juvenile turquoise severum (1.25 cm or so) and a misc. juvenile gourami in a ten gallon planted tank. it was sitting in front of a windowsil, so 2 assuage my algae problem, I blacked off the sides and back with black vinyl. ever since then, I have noticed that the severum's feces is very green. it is not eating what I usually feed him (crushed bioblend cichlid small) and seems as if it is only eating plants. the only other food it will touch are hikari freeze-dried bloodworms. the fish appears alright, acting the same minus aforementioned, no ich, fungus, etc.

questions are:
-should I b concerned?
-is my severum okay if I was just to feed it strictly bloodworms?
-what the hell is going on?

thank you for any help.
-m. kusanagi

reefcrazy420
06-10-2004, 01:13 PM
i would try other things in the diet besides bloodworms if he will eat them. im guessing the green poop is from the plants he is eating? just a guess

k20hatchiko
06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
what else should I try and feed it? I already tried feeding tetra-brand cichlid pellets, hikari cichlid pellets, even hikari tropical flake.

I looked at the nutrition facts on both the hikari bloodworms and bioblend pellets ad the crude fat, protien, starch, etc. are approx. the same, +-2 percent or so.

and yes, the green feces is due to it eating the plants; I witessed it chowing down on my anachris and red ludweiga.

bevoman
06-10-2004, 03:40 PM
I feed mine a diet of frozen food. Try brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill, plankton, daphnia, and a vegetable medly. I also feed spirulina sinking wafers. This can get kind of expensive, but the fish love it and do great on this mixed diet.

rsabatini
06-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I agree with bevo,my severum used to love plankton and live brine shrimp.

k20hatchiko
06-16-2004, 06:04 PM
started 2 feed daphnia, b. shrimp; in addition 2 the bloodworms. the severum seems 2 enjoy.

tried feeding it dried-algae wafers, but won't touch them; it seems 2 enjoy eating my plants.

good enuf?

bevoman
06-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Try seeing if you can find a frozen vegatable medly. If not, get a vitamin C supplement to add to his food. Sounds like things are starting to improve.