PDA

View Full Version : 180+ gallon questions

NEO_72
06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking more and more about going to a 180 gallon tank from my 75 right now. Although I'll have to wait until I get a new pad, so it might be around 6 months. I'm obsessive about planning though, so I wanted some advice from users who have big tanks.

1) Basically, what filtration options are there? My 2 fluval 404's at 340 gal/hr each won't cut it. Maybe someone knows a link to good info?

2) Load and weight considerations? Would this have to go in a basement?

3) If I'm considering 180, should I go even bigger and be done with it?

4) What fish would you suggest with the 2 severums, parrot and acara I have already?

Anyway, please don't give this too much thought, as it's still early. But if other's have big tanks, or know some links, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot!

Solace
06-08-2004, 01:12 PM
1. A sump type system will work fine. I am thinking the 404's would do the job if you were pretty regular on your maintenence schedules. Tossing a decent HOB in the mix would round it out.

2. Nope it doesn't have to go in a basement, but you do need to make sure you place it on a load bearing area. When I first setup my 210 I installed jack-posts beneath the area where it would be for additional support.

3. Depends on what your future plans are. I know in the near future I will be building some rather large plywood tanks... MTS is a bad desease to catch.

4. More acara's, some geo types would also work out nicely in that setup as wel, some chocolate cichlids..... It really just depends on what you want so it is hard to suggest what else would go ok in there. You have many options. Some of the larger armored catfish such as hopolo cats would be a nice addition to the tank as well.... you really have many options which is a good thing. :)

Good luck on getting it all setup how you want it. Trust me you will change it many times.

NEO_72
06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info Solace. I had a 75 a month after my first 20, so I know once this starts gnawing at me, I'll find a reason to move real qucik ;)

I haven't shirked the maintenance, so maybe just a few HOB's. I have a powerhead with a quick filter, maybe another for movement.

Thanks again for your input.

Solace
06-08-2004, 05:00 PM
No problem... I look forward to seeing pictures of it if possible. :) btw the two 404's would work fine for the 180. If you felt they weren't enough you could toss an added HOB (I am an Emperor 400 fan myself).

bevoman
06-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Neo,
The guys at glasscages.com have been helpful to me in the past. You might try their website and see what they suggest about supporting the weight.
Solace obviously has experience with this and I am sure his advice is great.

NEO_72
06-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Thanks guys!! I'm even wearing my girlfriend down. I keep telling her how many apistos she could fit in my 75 ;)

crazyfishlady
06-09-2004, 01:02 PM
I can't say I'm impartial:), but you can look at my album in the gallery for stocking ideas. I have a semi-aggressive community that includes severums & a blood parrot.
http://www.cichlidgallery.com/crazyfishladyland

NEO_72
06-09-2004, 01:30 PM
I like your tank, CFL. Nice stand. The chocolate looks nice too. Kind of similar to a severum, but a meatier head(from the pic, anyway) and cool colours. I haven't seen them at my LFS. Apparently there are two kinds? I like the geo's too. I was wondering if a Pearl cichlid would be alright? My cichlid book says the are terrirotorial but not over-aggressive. Again, this is at least a few months away. I don't know if a 180 could take my fish AND a pair of pearls. Rex has mentioned the Brasiliensis a couple of times, which I think is the pearl - I'll ask his advice later.

Thanks again.

BAM
06-22-2004, 11:04 AM
You can put a 180g on tile, manoleum, or wood flooring. If you put it on carpet prepare to have a permanent stamp where the tank was if you plan on moving. I would suggest a 240g over a 180g because it's almost the same base area but will provide nicer and bigger selection with your type of setup. If you stay with the 180g the 2 Fluvol 404's will get the job done but if you get an extra it will be very nice insurance and not so much pressure on maintanence. I would also suggest some Nicaraguense's for your Sevrums and even some Jurapari's too.

Good luck.

Vip
06-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Neo has a tank bug :P

NEO_72
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks BAM. I'm thinking 220 too. And I'd probably get an extra HOB just for quick access. I'll have to learn more on Nic's and Jurapari's.

Looks like I'm going to have to take my acara to the LFS. I've had him 6 months, he's a Colombian variety, but he's starting to be relentless against my smaller green sev.

Later man.

NEO_72
06-22-2004, 11:13 AM
A tank bug? What's that? Like obsessing over the next set-up? That's certainly true!

Vip
06-22-2004, 11:54 AM
lol, thats what happend to me, now look at me i brought i biggest i could. maybe you should get a 500 as well!

NEO_72
06-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Baby steps ;) I have to buy a ring before I'll get my tank!

Vip
06-22-2004, 12:03 PM
WHOA! no way??? for real??? when??

Vip
06-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I better get going to bed, later dude. its 4am here and i start at 9am lol

NEO_72
06-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Fish freak - get some sleep!

Well, I get my bonus in Oct. Then buy a ring. Then propose. Then move in together. So it might be a little after the new year. It can't be soon enough - I WANT A BIGGER TANK! Oh yeah, I guess I love her, too ;)