PDA

View Full Version : driftwood?

reefcrazy420
05-29-2004, 07:20 PM
does anyone know how long im supposed to float driftwood beforei put it in the tank? i have been soaking it for 2 days and it is still floating . how long will i have to soak it before it stops ?

jennigypsy
05-29-2004, 09:38 PM
it could take a LONG time...

..you might want to consider anchoring it to a rock w/ some silicone

seered247
05-30-2004, 04:21 PM
or while "floating" it dont really float it. It will take far less time if you submerge it under a rock or brick.it took about 21/2 weeks for my 1 foot piece to sink. Also some woods will release tanins so if you want your water clear change the water your soaking the wood in until the water stays clear enough for you!

reefcrazy420
05-30-2004, 05:20 PM
not really worried about the discoloration just the floating

chc
05-31-2004, 08:47 AM
It all depends on the density of the wood (the species of tree), the total displacement of it, how dry it has become since being collected, etc. It can take months for a very dry, very big piece to become waterlogged.

It helps to drill holes into the wood to reduce the buoancy, but this can cause trouble in the long run (trapping sediment, etc.).

I would caution you against weighting it or anchoring it in any way that could possibly fail. If the anchoring did fail, the driftwood can launch like a surf board coming out of the surf....... easy to break a canopy, light, or worse.

Most people just use a clean plastic garbage can for soaking. You may want to add a solution of bleach to disinfect it also (just remember to change the water in the trash can out often afterwards to elimnate the bleach).

reefcrazy420
05-31-2004, 12:10 PM
well its in the tank after soaking for 4 days it is anchored by just about all of the deco in theank lol but at least it looks half decent

seered247
05-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Yea i was talkin about anchoring it in a bucket or container of some sort. Im not to sure i would trust it in the tank. Like CHC said when i pushed the driftwood down in the bucket i soaked mine in it shot about a foot out of the bucket and landed at my feet!LoL!!!

reefcrazy420
05-31-2004, 06:06 PM
its pretty well anchored in there now so cross your figners lol

jennigypsy
05-31-2004, 08:43 PM
its pretty well anchored in there now so cross your figners lol

um, Nate....

...this is a BAD idea...really.

You're better off letting it float in the tank iteself til it sinks than trying to 'rig' the anchoring...
I had suggested silicone...I even take that back...my sili let go yesterday...luckily did no damage..VERY LUCKILY....

If you've got it anchored in there in such a way that you need to 'cross your fingers' ....you need to uncross yer fingies & get the wood out....:)

reefcrazy420
05-31-2004, 10:28 PM
belive me if that thing gets unanchored it deserves to break something ...