PDA

View Full Version : ph above 8!!!

reefcrazy420
05-25-2004, 02:18 PM
well i did something stupid . i started a south america tank yesterday and went and grabbed a couple of fish. well today i happened to test the tap water and it came out at 7.6!!! and the tank they were in is previously a saltwater tank so when i tested that it came out at 8.2!!!
now i know SA cichlids dont like this type of water but they seem to be doing ok. i went out and bought ph down and added it into the tank and it is now at about 7.0 the fish still seem to be doing ok but it says on the back of the bottle it may go back up. to break the buffering process i am supposed to add more ... but does that mean everyday i will have to add this or what ? i cant add it one after another or it will kill the fish right? plz help

cich1
05-25-2004, 02:44 PM
hey reefcrazy,you could add some peat to your filter.you could also get a piece of driftwood.the driftwood and peat will also slightly soften your water and will leach tannins making your water more acidic.i used to use ph down but you can't keep a steady ph with it,it fluctuates too much which might end up being worse on your fish,creating stress and disease.

cichgirl
05-25-2004, 03:01 PM
good info, cich1, I would have said the exact same thing! :)

reefcrazy, what kind of substrate and rocks do you currently have in the tank? Don't panic, as long as the ph changes are gradual, the fish should be okay. What kinds of Americans did you get? A lot of them are very tolerable to higher ph...

bevoman
05-25-2004, 03:09 PM
I think with the driftwood, if you have natural gravel as your substrate, your ph should adjust just fine without you doing anything. Your tap ph would be fine for your tank. Just put in some driftwood and let it do its thing. You should be fine.

reefcrazy420
05-25-2004, 03:14 PM
i currently have sand as the substrate. its in my profile but a convict a choclate cichlid a firemouth and a jack dempsey. also where do i find driftwood or peat ? thanks for the replies guys im going nuts over here lol

cich1
05-25-2004, 03:27 PM
thanks cichgirl.reefcrazy,you can find peat at your lfs should be in the same area as other filter media.you can usually find driftwood at your lfs also,if not you can get it from a local lake or creek.just make sure if you get it from a lake or creek to boil the hell out of it to kill whatever organisms might be making the wood their home. :D

reefcrazy420
05-25-2004, 03:40 PM
thanks alot guys i think myu heart attack iss tarting topass lol

entombed
05-25-2004, 03:51 PM
IME driftwood will only make slight changes to your PH very slowly. If your tap water is 7.6 this would be fine for Central Americans but I'm not sure whether the Chocolate being a South American will be okay long term with this? I read somewhere that these guys can develope Hole In the head from water too hard and too alkaline. If your tank can stay stable at 7.6 I wouldn't bother playing around with PH down. If your PH is up at 8.2 in the tank I would be looking at what tank decor you have. What sort of sand and rocks if any have you got in there?

reefcrazy420
05-25-2004, 06:04 PM
playsand from lowe's a piece of lava rock and jsut some other decorator rock

jennigypsy
05-26-2004, 06:51 PM
...I'd take that lava rock out ....they can raise the pH...

Also-did ypu rinse the sand well after you switched to fresh from salt?

reefcrazy420
05-26-2004, 07:34 PM
yes mam. tomorrow im gonna go get some peet <sp> and maybe some driftwood. btw jenni where have u been??!!

83Street
05-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Peat, in case you were wondering. Definitely want to take the rocks out in exchange for some driftwood. For the time being, add whatever water conditioner you have. It helps calm your fish, if they are stressed to begin with, and some tap water conditioners help buffer the pH.

Oh yeah, instead of fiddling with pH Down, there's something called Proper pH that is supposed to set the pH at 7.5, if they have it in stock at your lfs.

My tap water comes out at 7.57 and I haven't had a problem with SA/CA cichlids yet. Anyways, keep us posted and good luck:ok:

reefcrazy420
05-27-2004, 07:35 PM
UPDATE

the ph is back t 7.6 but all of the fish seem fine happily eating and all have colored up. also i bought some peat moss for the wife in the garden? is this the same stuff u are talking about . it is very flake like and i dont see how i would put that in my filter .. any help would be appreciated.

83Street
05-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Depends how flaky it is. What filter are you using? If youre using a canister-type you can just take out a section such as the carbon section and add it there. For Emperors you can add it into the media container. I'm just throwing ideas out there.:)