PDA

View Full Version : Geophagus at the auction

jennigypsy
05-22-2004, 08:09 AM
I said I wasn't going to get any more fish...

I know...

But at last nights auction, there wasn't a big member turnout-so the fish at auction were going for NOTHING (next to it anyway)

Among other things, I picked up a bag of BAP fry ...GEOPHAGUS STEINDACHNERI (sp?)..."red humps"...(horseface cichlid)?Earth eaters?
7 in the bag, about an inch long...

$3...

Anyone have any experience w/ these fellas? From what I can research, they're pretty peaceful, don't get too large and the males get a nuchal hump.

They'll be in a growout tank for some time...

Do they grow with the typical lightning speed of the other sa/ca fish?

bevoman
05-22-2004, 08:58 AM
They grow slower and reach around 6 inches. They are peaceful but have tons of personality. They also are deceptively quick and are pretty good at avoiding aggression. They are funny little buggers. Good luck.

crazyfishlady
05-22-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm right there with you JG! I just bought 2 Tuba cichlid fry yesterday. They are in a grow out tank right now, but I see a new large tank in my not so distant future! :)
The geo's are a nice catch though! I was looking for some, couldn't find any & got a surnamensis instead, but I like the red hump. They have a very unusual body shape & keep the tank interesting. After they've grown out if you need to unload any you should PM me!! :D

jennigypsy
05-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey, thanks guys!

The little ones are growing themselves out in my mom's 46 gal...with a few angels...
She said they see her coming and wait for her to feed them...they all huddle together & sit and stare til she feeds them (LOL!!)...

I relayed to her the info I got here & on the web about them....

Last night, she made it CLEAR they were only to be there temporarily (as my last attempt to 'grow out' fry at her house resulted in my port cichlid fry eating 6 neons in an evening...<eek>)
Today, she says I may not get them back :)

CFL- If you're serious, I will indeed PM you in a month or so...even if my mom keeps 1 or 2, and I keep 1 or 2...that leaves a few :)

crazyfishlady
05-23-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm absolutely serious! My LFS has several types of geo's but never red humps. & I only see them on aquabid in lots of 6. Thanks! & if you want a tuba cichlid...when they are old enough to sex, unless they are a pair, I will want only 1.

jennigypsy
05-23-2004, 08:29 PM
CFL- you have a pic of a tuba? I looked online, but haven't come across one yet

crazyfishlady
05-24-2004, 07:22 AM
here's a link. Go to the pic at the bottom of the page.
http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a132.php

jennigypsy
05-24-2004, 11:47 AM
wow...VERY cool fish-especially the description of the 'breeding mask'...

...they get quite large!

crazyfishlady
05-24-2004, 11:52 AM
They do get big. The fry I have are so tiny it's unbelievable. They are about as long as the word unbelievable. :)

jennigypsy
05-24-2004, 11:55 AM
LOL!

Nice find on those! I've never seen them around-
wonder if they'll grow as fast as most sa/ca cichlids do....(you know..like lightning!) LOL

crazyfishlady
05-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Well, I am doing 3 small feeding per day & the heats at about 82, but I'm not really in too big a hurry. Once they get to a size that they can move from my growout tank to my 55 gal community, I will need to start planning for/setting up the BIG tank. I would like to get a 300 gal. for my current cichlid community + 1 of these (& hopefully a red hump geo. :) :wink: ).
Do you have a "regimine" for growing out your geo.s? Or any other fry you have for that matter?

jennigypsy
05-24-2004, 03:50 PM
well...not really...
I just keep the water clean (always 30% change weekly..sometimes a little more)....
I keep the temp around 80, and keep they're bellies full...
I do try & vary the diet as much as possible (which, with little fry, isn't too much....LOL)
My mom is actually raising the red humps for me ...(i'm outta room!)...they're in a 46 gallon SA tank w/ some angels & tetras...she does 30% water weekly changes and prob feeds 3 times per day...flakes & frozen bloodworms (also some cichlid crumbles & algae discs)
..at any rate...it won't be too long before we'll need to look into shipping a few to minnesota...:) ;)