PDA

View Full Version : Red Terrors?

Fish Guy
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
I was wondering would it be hard for me to get these, are they rare?

Jason_S
05-11-2004, 11:03 PM
It took me over a year to find them. Keep in mind there are 2 different fish commonly sold as Red Terrors. One is Amphilophus festae (the True Red Terror) and the other is Nandopsis uropthalmus (fake red terror or Mayan cichlid). you can tell a difference even when they're fairly small. The festae has a smaller eye spot at the base of the tail and the spot will be located on the upper portion of the tail-base. On the uro, the eye spot is much larger and positioned more towards the middle of the base of the tail. also, the true festae will have one set of vertical bars that form a "Y" while all rows of vertical bars of the uro are perfectly vertical. I'd recommend looking up both fish on google and looking at pics of each one so you can identify when you go to buy them.

Jason

Alv
05-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Why are they so hard to get hold of then?

chc
05-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Basically because it is so easy to get a hold of urops. Urops are all over south florida now (the seem to outcompete other non-native species. They are easily passed off as red terrors, and most buyers don't even care to notice.

PM me and I can hook you up with a friend who is a reliable source for wild festae.

Grbaillif
05-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Probably better to stick with the false red terror anyway. I hear the true one gets bigger and is more of a tank buster

Jason_S
05-19-2004, 08:38 PM
true festae males can reach 16" or larger with proper care. females usually max between 12 and 14" I believe. as for the uro, I don't know for sure but would say they probably reach the 12-14" range max.

Jason