PDA

View Full Version : Orange cichlid: What is it?

vxnrh
09-08-2002, 01:40 PM
My fiance bought a couple of orange cichlids. The fish store told him they were firemouth, but all descriptions of firemouth are grey/ black and red. They both have humps on their heads and are smooth, bright orange with black eyes. Thanks for the help!!!

Rudy
09-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Could be a midas cichlid or another member of the red devil complex

If it is I hope you do some reading because if they are in there with something else....they won't be for long :o
http://www.petsforum.com/CichlidRoom/articles/a106.html

vxnrh
09-08-2002, 02:11 PM
It does look alot like the one orange cichlid pictured on that page. The hump isn't enormous like other website show for midas cichlids. They also have a red ring around the pupil. They are very orange on top and fade to light orange and kind of salmon at the bottom. They haven't shown that much aggressive behavior with the other fish yet. One of my fishes died when I was gone for the weekend, but we have no idea on what caused it. It wasn't chewed on or anything. I didn't know the name for it except it was a s. african cichlid that was purpley blue with a yellow dot on tail and black stripes. He was more aggressive than the orange ones. We also have a clown loach and catfish and two plecos. Those fish could care less about these orange ones. Thanks for the help!! :D

jonah
09-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Red zebra? I think the sci name is Maylandia estherae. It's a mbuna if that's the fish you have. The body shape is the same as most zebra cichlids. :?

vxnrh
09-08-2002, 02:29 PM
These fish are shape like south american, not long and skinny like s. africans. The coloring is the same as the red zebras. But the shape is wrong.

Rudy
09-08-2002, 02:45 PM
You will find that the hump gets bigger with age and so does the aggression. So though the hump does not get like the midas. Red devils are more curved hump. I have a 10 inch red devil and she lives by herself in a 55 gallon aquarium.

Good luck they are great fish! My favorite

SGypsyMermaid
09-08-2002, 03:48 PM
look anything like this guy?:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/cichlid_chromide_orange.jpg

vxnrh
09-09-2002, 02:10 AM
sgypsymermaid: Yes they do look like that. We are starting to think they are red devils. Hopefully they don't turn out to be killers since all fish have different temperment (sp?). We had bought two more fish yesterday before I posted on here, they are firemouths and of course since they are new to the community, there is some aggression now, but hopefully it is the normal new fish aggression. :(

SGypsyMermaid
09-09-2002, 08:55 AM
if they are orange chromides, then they are brackish water fish --one of only three cichlid species from asia. do you keep any salt in your water? they are not very aggressive as cichlids go.

vxnrh
09-09-2002, 01:18 PM
sgypsymermaid: They are bigger fish than that one. I just read how big they get and the chromides are smaller. They must be red devils...I don't know. They seem to be getting along better today with the other fish. Thanks for the advice. :)

madgamer89
11-03-2002, 09:03 PM
sorry i cant relly help you

farmerj
02-15-2004, 01:17 AM
I have heard that Scats and Puffers can be put with orange chromides but the man in the store said that puffers get aggressive and will eventually attack the chromide. I ordered 2 red chromides and 2 green chromides, but I am not sure if they can live with the full grown one in the same tank. Will he eat them? I am told they can live with clown loaches and corys, but can these fish tolerate the salt. I bought a device to measure salinity but don't know the optimum salinity for them. Does anyone know? I put a new piece of driftwood in the tank and it is still floating and has truned the water tea colored. The crhomide looks a little stressed. Should I take it out?
John Farmer