PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!!

Jason_S
05-10-2004, 01:07 AM
I had to share my excitement...as I type this, my festae's are spawning. The female is laying eggs on the side of a rock and the male is going behind her fertilizing them.:D I had a feeling they would be spawning soon...they've been showing more signs here lately and had cleaned off about 5 different spots in the tank. I've been waiting for this moment since March '03 when I first got them.:party:

Jason

Vip
05-10-2004, 01:31 AM
woohoo!!! congrats!!
And a rare sight to see them spawning as well!!1

Get some pics happing dude

bevoman
05-10-2004, 05:52 AM
good luck Jason.
Keep us posted.

cich1
05-10-2004, 10:02 AM
congratulations jason_s:party:.good luck, keep the updates coming.

Jason_S
05-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Female is guarding the nest dilligently. The male is patrolling the perimeter, but still goes into hiding if he gets startled (by me walking in the room mainly). He comes out very quickly though and makes sure the other fish don't get near his nest. As a precaution, I moved my 2 senegal bichirs into my 150 gallon and my delhezi bichir into my 75 gallon. The terrors (or any other cichlid I've had) have never bothered the bichirs, but I don't want to take any chances. I did leave the convict pair in the tank so the male will have something to harrass besides the female terror. I think the cons may be preparing to spawn on the other side of the tank though. The female con (~2.5") has faced off with the male festae (~6-7") a couple of times while the male con runs and hides from the festae. I will be watching this tank closely and if the convicts start getting damaged I'm going to move them out as well. I also have an UGF plate sitting next to the tank in case a divider becomes necessary.

At this moment, the female festae is fanning the eggs and the male is hiding. He's still pretty young though...I'm sure as they continue to spawn he'll figure the whole "parenting" thing out.

Jason:D

Poet8102
05-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Congrats on the spawning!!!

Alv
05-10-2004, 12:59 PM
congratulations jason_s. How are your pore convicts copeing?

Jason_S
05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
How are your pore convicts copeing?

the convicts are fine. the male chases them a bit, but they don't have even a nip in their fins. they are significantly smaller than the male festae, so there are plenty of places they can get away from him. the bottom line is though that I'd rather him take out aggression on the convicts than the female festae. I do have tank dividers right next to the tank that I can throw in at a moments notice if he gets out of control.

I did notice the female festae has a couple spots of ich. She had a few spots a couple of days before she laid the eggs...I think she got a little stressed from the male courting her. I raised the temp at that time from 78 to 81 and the spots went away. Well, after she laid the eggs I noticed another spot or 2 on her. Anyone have any thoughts...should I raise the temp up to say 83 for a couple weeks or just leave it as is...I don't think she's being stressed anymore, so I think it should go away.

Jason

Jason_S
05-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Pardon all the algae on the glass. The female has the nest setup ~6" from the side of the tank and I didn't want to stress her out by trying to clean the glass. She was flaring at me just getting close to the glass to look, so I'm sure she would have attacked an algae scraper;).

Here you can just see some of the eggs right behind her.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/05-11-04pic1.jpg

Here she is again fanning the eggs
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/05-11-04pic2.jpg

The first 2 pics were taken from at the side of the tank. these next pics were taken from the front. the eggs are scattered all along the side of the rock on the right.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/05-11-04pic3.jpg

and one more...

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/05-11-04pic4.jpg

Also, the ich appears to be gone, but I'm going to continue to watch her just in case.

Jason:D

Fish Guy
05-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Wicked, that is very cool I would love to get a pair of red terrors.

Alv
05-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Like the pics! I think i might get my GT's mateing now after seeing your terrors. I hope they will try after stressing them so much today.
The females egg depositing device is out again so i'm sure that is a good sign and they have been showing signs of courting for 1 week now.
Good luck with raising the fry!

Jason_S
05-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks everyone. :D

Just to update, most of the eggs have hatched and the fry has been moved to a safe spot. Both the parents are guarding them diligently.

Jason:)