PDA

View Full Version : Green terror size/ temper.

salty
05-03-2004, 08:38 AM
I like the looks of green terrors, and have heard mixed up comments about. I was wondering if anyone really knows their max. size, and aggressive tendencies, if any. Also are they alright with cons, or are they better with bigger cichlids?:confused: -salty

Fish Guy
05-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Mine likes the temp. at around 76-80F and he does great with smaller fish that are not a threat to him. I have heard that they usually get to be around 7-9 inches. A green terror would do great with convicts.

Jason_S
05-03-2004, 02:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone really knows their max. size, and aggressive tendencies,

there is always a range of aggression within each species. you'll have some hyper aggressive fish, the occasional docile fish and an overall average. I'd put green terrors in the mid-aggression range along with say Jack dempseys and texas cichlids.

I will add though that you'll probably find more variation in temperament in GT's than other fish because the green terrors we get at lfs are not true A. rivulatus. they are a mix of a few (5 total I think) different species that are all very closely related. that's why there is such a range of reported aggression and max. size. the true A. rivulatus (true Green Terror) from what I hear can reach lengths of ~14" or slightly larger and would rival Red Devils/Midas in aggression. However, the common green terror (A. sp. 'Gold saum') that we get are mid-aggressors and usually reach lengths in the 10" range...plus or minus an inch or 2.

Jason

Alv
05-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Yep not likely you have the true green terror like me. The true terror has white fins where the common terror has yellow. My female terror has half white half yellow though looks great. All the other info Jason_S mentioned is true. As for aggression they can get real nasty especially the male. He has killed a jag and i've had to remove the firemouth, convict and jack dempsey out as he almost killed them. Wouldn't worry though because that's just mine half the time the oscar can scare him but they are no push over and will stand there ground. If you have the true rivulatus don't even bother adding anything even a female.

salty
05-04-2004, 07:46 AM
I guess it all depends on personal experience with each fish, for instance, I would consider jds as hyper aggressive, whereas texas would in my opinion be in the middle as far as aggression is concerned. 7-9" is a little to big for my tank. Also I apoligize, I meant temperment not temperature. - salty

Vip
05-05-2004, 02:09 AM
hmmm, you really think they could rival a red devil/midas?

Jason_S
05-07-2004, 12:37 PM
hmmm, you really think they could rival a red devil/midas?

well, I can't say from firsthand experience, but I've heard that more than once. I guess the name "Green Terror" had to come from somewhere though.

Jason:)

wheelie
05-07-2004, 03:13 PM
I thought red terrors were supposed to be a lot more agressive than the gt? I've never had any trouble with my green terror and agression. He's only about 4 in, but he holds his own with a 5 1/2 in oscar and a 9 in albino channel cat- and he's one mean fish.

Jason_S
05-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I thought red terrors were supposed to be a lot more agressive than the gt?

they are :wink:

Jason

Alv
05-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Fish are so strange i mean my 7" female GT is scared of my 5" oscar and my oscar is scared of the male GT 4.5" The female and male always fight with no winner. My female GT is tough and stood up to my male 7" texas the other day, which i never saw but i could clearly see she lost with torn lips. The oscar and male GT were so scared of my texas.
One fish i'll always respect though is my female convict. She could handle anything in my tank. She would lock lips with my male GT some days but never ever would let him think he would rule. I have removed her though as she has maxed out and will become i meal later.
I bought her a male friend last week and my mate has taken her to breed.
Wheelie you mind find he'll rule the tank later possibly kill that oscar. I've heard so many people complain that there GT killed there oscar.

benefit
05-15-2004, 09:59 AM
I own a pair of wild caught Aequidens sp. "White Saum" also known as "Silver Saum". There is a TRUE A. Rivulatus that is supposidly mega aggressive (but who knows) and reaches a smaller size collected in Peru. Just because a gt has white seams does not make it the true A. Rivulatus. Infact white saums are very common in the states (and other countries i have been told). Although not as common as the yellow/orange/red flame tails. I believe the only way to know if it is a true green terror would be the collection site as these fish have not been in the trade for years (what i have read). Heres a pic of my approx 8" male,,

salty
05-17-2004, 07:55 AM
nice pic benefit.-salty

Grbaillif
05-19-2004, 01:16 AM
I've heard the true green terror actually doesnt have a similar body shape to the white and gold saums that are in the trade today. They have more of the body shape of a firemouth with a more upturned slightly sharper mouth but are similar in coloration

RedDevilLover
05-19-2004, 08:46 PM
i dont think green terrors are more agressive than rdsor midas i dont know about midas but every rd that ive had would not have taken anything from anybody theyll die fighting i love red devils (as you can see) theyre really a tough fish and super hyuper aggressive where the green terror that ive had were not so much aggressive definitely not more aggressive than red devils

RedDevilLover
05-19-2004, 08:47 PM
nice gt benefit congrats

Jason_S
05-20-2004, 02:26 AM
where the green terror that ive had were not so much aggressive definitely not more aggressive than red devils

I was referring to the true Aequidens rivulatus that is supposed to match RD or midas in aggression. This fish hasn't been imported for years. the gold saums found in lfs are not nearly as aggressive as the true Green Terror.

RedDevilLover
05-20-2004, 08:45 PM
i still think red devils are highly aggressive very very very high

RedDevilLover
05-20-2004, 08:45 PM
no offence jason

Jason_S
05-20-2004, 09:21 PM
first of all, no offence taken:) secondly, I'm not trying to take anything away from red devils. I agree they would definitely rank among the most aggressive cichlids. all I'm saying is that I've heard that the true Green terror is equally as aggressive. There's no way I can say for sure that this is true, and it would be difficult to find anyone with first hand experience with the true A. rivulatus since they haven't been imported in so long. All I'm saying is don't base your opinion on the true A. rivulatus on what you see from the "green terrors" (or more appropriately Gold saums) that are currently available. there is supposed to be a huge difference in aggression between A. rivulatus and gold saums...which is the main reason I believe that gold saums became more popular and A. rivulatus stopped being imported. People wanted to keep the equally beautiful saum because they could house it with other cichlids whereas the true rivulatus was a cold blooded killer (similar to a red devil).

Alv
05-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Red devils are generally very aggressive but i'm sure my green terror could rival any midas or red devil. He's very aggressive!

salty
05-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I initially asked about green terrors not about red devils. I was wondering about green terrors compatibility with other fish ex. convicts, salvins, and a few others. I would never mix a gt with a red devil unless I had the room, like say 200 gal. of tank space. I dont care who thinks what is tougher like some of you, I would like to have a tank with semi aggressive and aggressive somehow liveing in the same tank, I do not want big killers swimming around challenging each other for tank space, I'm sorry but, that's not what I'm into. I want aggressive fish that are pretty, and under the 6" mark. But, anyways thanx for the replies. -salty

Alv
05-22-2004, 12:36 AM
I was trying to express that any fish can be aggressive. I don't put fish in my tank to fight any signs and they are out!

salty
05-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Yeah I know Alv, you seem pretty knowledgable about fish keeping. Also you seem to know quite abit about green terrors, keep it up.-salty