PDA

View Full Version : Ideas?

Fish Guy
04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank with a 6" and a 3" gt in it and two 3" kribs and one 3" texas. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what else I could introduce?

Poet8102
04-30-2004, 02:51 PM
I would advise you to get rid of either the texas or the gt's.

Fish Guy
04-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Why do you figure that? I would be able to get rid of the texas but the gt I could never get rid of.

bevoman
04-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Then do it.
Those fish will probably really hurt each other when they are grown. Just my opinion.

Fish Guy
04-30-2004, 11:58 PM
I know that they will fight as the small ones get bigger but I make sure my big gt is always dominant. I put two male fancy guppies in with him in a 30 gallon( he was 5" then thats why I got the bigger tank ). He did nothing, he just checked them out and went on. I only did this to prove a friend wrong.

Alv
05-01-2004, 02:34 AM
They might be ok i found the texas cichlid in the past to be quite placid but alot people on here would disagree and say they are aggressive so take there advise. As for GT's i have a mateing pair, they recently have been trying to breed and they get real nasty.
You would be better off with a 100g to hold those 3 though 75 would be enough just for the terrors and kribs. OR try a schooling fish 3-5. not anything huge i choose silver dollars they don't grow big like tinfoil barbs and silver sharks.
oscar 5"
3 4" silver dollars
5" pleco

bevoman
05-01-2004, 10:48 AM
You never really know what would happen. Odds are you will have trouble though. Why take a chance. Take the Texas out.

Jason_S
05-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Fish Guy, you have to realise that eventually you'll wind up with a ~10-14" Texas and 2 ~8-12" Green terrors all of which have reputations for being nasty fish. That's a lot of fish for a 75 gallon tank not even taking aggression into account. the strain on bioload alone from those 3 big fish would, imo, require 15x filtration just to keep up.

Also, I think we all know that aggression comes out the more 'confined' the fish are. those 3 fish would be very confined in just a 75, especially if by some chance the GT's became a breeding pair. I think you could try keeping 2 of the 3 in there, but that would still be taking a chance considering the reputations of the fish. just be prepared, if need be, to get rid of one of them fast should problems arise in the future.

Jason

Fish Guy
05-01-2004, 03:18 PM
I know everything about aggression and I know that they will get big. I will probely get rid of the Texas and leave just the gt's.

Jason_S
05-01-2004, 03:58 PM
sounds like a good plan:)

Jason

Alv
05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
My old texas was not big enough for me to describe his aggression. I removed him after i knew he was the true texas and was advised to get rid of him. I am now trying a green texas and even they are not as aggressive as the true texas and am finding him to be trouble. Already he has been removed from my 110g because in one day he bit my oscars a$$ and locked lips with my female terror, which tore her lips up quite bad. He's finally settled in a 55g with my silver dollars. Will add him back into my main tank when the others have grown. He dwarfs them by 2" in length and his entire body mass is greater even though the female terror is the same length.

bevoman
05-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Alv,
My Carpintis (Green Texas) was a real monster until one day I decided to put a Red Devil in with him. The devil did a number on him and I had to take the devil out and return him to the lfs. Real pity because he was beautiful. I thought my Texas could hold his own.
The funny thing is that ever since that incident, he has been a placid little angel. I have a synspilum, Jewel and Con in with him and he completely leaves them alone. The Devil seem to have really helped to calm him down.
This was not my intent, however, it really has been beneficial for the residents of my tank.

Alv
05-08-2004, 06:05 AM
I wouldn't say mines aggressive. I reckon the terror started on him because they are trying to mate again and this angered him to chase them all, just to show he's no push over. In that one day watching him he seemed fine. I will give him another chance later and watch him very closely just don't have the time at the moment very busy with uni.
Green texas i would say is semi aggressive. I wouldn't think it would be any more aggressive than a average jack dempsey.

bevoman
05-08-2004, 07:00 AM
On average i would say you are probably correct. However, there is always the more or less aggressive that establish the average.