PDA

View Full Version : My son has a 37 gal eclipse system

budracn
12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Here is a question, my son has a 37 gal eclipse system in his bedroom, he wants to put african cichlids in it. Is the filtration from an eclipse system sufficient enough for cichlids. Was going to put approx. 6 cichlids in the tank. but am concerned about the filtration. Please advise. :rofl:

finz
12-11-2002, 06:06 PM
I think we need to know which species of cichlids you intend to keep. The tank itself may not be big enough.

budracn
12-11-2002, 06:20 PM
i was going to put some mbunas in there, figured if they got 2 big i would add them to my 125gal Aquarium. but i never put African cichlids in a eclipse system tank. But he fell in love with my fish and wanted some little ones to raise in his tank. was just worried about the filtration if it would be good enough or should I invest in an Eheim filter for him.

budracn
12-11-2002, 07:09 PM
well here is a description of it off an ad:

The Eclipse top-mounted, 3-stage system combines simple, elegant styling with superior performance efficiency. All water is filtered through the high-performance Eclipse Filter Cartridge and then directed to the patented Marineland BIO-Wheel. The result: 100% water-to-media contact for excellent water quality...and a healthier environment for your plants and fish. Easy to install, easy to operate, the Eclipse System provides unlimited, unhindered access to the entire aquarium. The specially selected fluorescent daylight bulb is ideal for plant growth and ornamental fish color enhancement. And because all filtration media is inside the top mounted unit, the Eclipse has minimal rear space requirements for against-the-wall placement. Fits any 12"X30" aquarium frame (29, 37 gallon or 20 "long")Certified Flow Rage: 250 gph, 24" fluorencent lamps (2)included. ,

So basically put, is this good enough filtration for 4-6 mbuna

jonah
12-11-2002, 08:14 PM
It will probably be fine, just keep up on the water changes. I'd recommend a species only tank and stick to the less aggro species. Luckily you have the option of adding them to your larger tank if it gets out of hand.