PDA

View Full Version : Battling my substrate

theJoe
04-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Tap: ph = 7.2, KH = 5
Tank: ph = 7.6, KH = 6

I have 20 pounds or so of some "african cichlid substrate" intended to buffer the water, as I used to have Africans. I am trying to get the water down, I have a couple pieces of drift wood, and a DIY CO2 system, but I think I am fighting a losing battle to get the ph down. Any tips or ideas? I don't want to change the substrate because of trouble and money. I will if I have to, but man will I hate it.

Poet8102
04-27-2004, 04:57 AM
I would suggest adding live plants or some driftwood, or even some peat moss in the filters

vue
04-27-2004, 04:59 AM
hello if you want to bring your Ph down try some peat moss. You can buy it at any local home and garden shop. just make sure it is unfertatilzed.You can also use Ro water.My PH in my 55 apisto tank is at a PH of 5.5.

jonah
04-27-2004, 03:20 PM
I'd pull the substrate out. Sure it's a pain in the neck now, but peat moss and RO aren't going to give you stable pH. You'll have to balance it everytime you do a water change.

If you really don't want to pull it out I'd try the peat moss in a media bag placed in the filter first. It will cause a more gradual change in your water. It's going to make your water a bit tea colored though if you do it.

entombed
04-27-2004, 04:33 PM
what sort of cichlids or other fish for that matter are you setting the tank up for. Central American and some South American cichlids would be fine in a pH of 7.6.

theJoe
04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Poet8102
I would suggest adding live plants or some driftwood, or even some peat moss in the filters

I have some plants, and I am gradually adding more. I have some wood, and plan to add more. I am considering peat moss, but my limitation there is that I have an Eclipse hood/filter system. I don't think there is room for bagged peat moss.

theJoe
04-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by entombed
what sort of cichlids or other fish for that matter are you setting the tank up for. Central American and some South American cichlids would be fine in a pH of 7.6.

I have 2 blue rams, and a school of neons right now. I am waiting to add more fish until I can get the water and tank set up how I like it/fish need it.

I was looking at dwarf gouramis and angels, but I would be willing to shift if there were some fish that appreciated my natural water conditions, and were sutiable for a 29 gallon tank.

Rex Karr
04-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Entombed has a very good point. Chances are, that unless your trying to keep Discus, Geo's, or some other kinds of soft water Amazon cichlids, you don't need to worry about lowering the pH. If you are keeping some sensitive soft water fish then you really do need to get that african substrate out. It can be a bit of a hassel, but shouldn't cost much at all. Forget about the stuff that you buy at the LFS (unless you need a specialty substrate for Rays or hardwater fish.) You can get a large bag/bucket of sand or gravel from a hardware or landscape place for just a couple dollars.

Rex Karr
04-27-2004, 05:29 PM
In that case you need to replace the gravel.

theJoe
04-29-2004, 02:01 AM
Argh. OK. Substrate out. Bah. Will let you know how it goes. One extra argh before I go. Bah. I don't see any way, either.