PDA

View Full Version : convict's + other s. americans

salty
04-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I have currently a mixed 65g. tank consisting of 2 bumblebee africans, 2 small 1 inch. demasoni, 1 kenyi, and seven convicts that range from sizes 3 inch. to 1/2 inch. + about 10 month old babies from two cons, also 2 black cons have mated an their are about 100 very small fry in one corner of the tank. I want to seperate the africans into another tank, and convert my 65 into a s. american tank only. I was wondering what small 4-5 inch fish would be compatible with my existing cons. I was thinking salvini, blue acara, or even a small juvi jack dempsey, any suggestions.thanx salty.:confused:

jennigypsy
04-25-2004, 07:51 AM
IMO of course....(like I'm one to talk though! just have a look at my sig!)
..cons can be pretty nasty...really, 7 cons in that 65 would be about enough...also, I think cons are central american, not south (but for them, it's not really a big deal..they're pretty darn adaptable!)

you could unload a few of those cons and perhaps add someone else to that tank...a fish that hold his own for sure!...I like the salvini...(wish I could have found some around here)...

jonah
04-25-2004, 08:13 AM
That's right, cons are Central Americans and come from an area with higher pH than most SA, but they're adaptable as their constant breeding suggest.

I wouldn't add anything unless you ditch some of the cons.

salty
04-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Yea, I thought that might be a problem, to many cons. I kinda figured for the sized tank, I have that I could fit several small cons pretty easily, but I wasn't ready for the breeding to happen so fast. what I am eventually aiming towards is a good sized group of cons and maybe 1 or 2 decent sized aggressors, by decent size, I mean 5-6 inch. such as salvini, acara, etc. thanx for the clarification, central not south. -salty

Jason_S
05-01-2004, 03:03 PM
just to let you know, I've heard of male salvini's easily reaching 8", so if you only want a 5-6" fish you might want to consider something different.

If I were you, I'd look to other Cryptoheros species. there are several nice ones, though availability of them is sometimes limited unless you're willing to have them shipped to you. I have several Honduran red points and these are absolutely gorgeous fish. basically, they look like blue dempseys with a con-shaped body and red fins/tail. http://www.cichlid.org/index.html. that is a link to the ACA home page, and if you scroll to the bottom, there is a small pic (the best I've seen on the net) of a Honduran red point. I also have 3 C. nanoluteus. these are supposed to be the most colorful of the genus and stay slightly smaller and less aggressive than cons. they are yellow, and as adults have orange/blue/green colorations as well. other, more common Cryptoheros are sajica and spilurum. these are both beautiful fish as well. I've seen some gorgeous pics of jumbo male sajicas. in fact, in the next couple of months, I'll be buying a good sized male that is ~4" I think he said and only a year old. here is a pic of the one I'll be buying. Keep in mind it's only a year old, so while it has good size already and a nice hump forming, it's adult coloration have only barely begun to come in.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/malesajica.jpg

I'll be getting that sajica for $10 and juvie Haitiensis for $4 each :D.

Jason

salty
05-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Jason, that fish is definately pretty. I recently bought 2- 2inch blue acaras. They are nice fish, very colorful,but they seem a little to mild mannered as compared to my cons. I was hoping the acaras would have a little more spunk, but oh well. thanx for the reply and pic.-salty

fish speaker
09-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Jason_S
...If I were you, I'd look to other Cryptoheros species....
I'll be getting that sajica for $10 and juvie Haitiensis for $4 each :D.

Jason

Since I'm fairly new around here, I've been reading through some of the past threads to learn and to help plan my 90-gallon tank. When I came across this post, I had to upgrade the sajica on my list of possibilities. In any event...is there a big risk of cross-breeding by keeping a couple Cryptoheros species in the same tank? I'm thinking about both a couple of sajicas and a couple of the Honduran red points, and might throw in a single salvini. Do you think that the salvini would cause too much trouble?

Thanks,
David

salty
09-09-2004, 07:39 AM
david, salvini are great fish, super colorful somewhat aggressive, and they can hold their own pretty well, I would definately reccomend you getting one mine is a female but she'll still scrap with any fish she's only like 4". oh and she pays no mind to my cons either so dont worry about that get a salv, you won't regret it. later. -salty

Jason_S
09-09-2004, 08:11 AM
I'd be worried that the salvini would actually be too aggressive for the hondurans and the sajica. neither of these species come close to the aggressoin level of their cousin...the convict. sajica and hondurans are quite a bit more peaceful and would probably at the least be nipped up quite a bit by a salvini.

also, the 2 cryptoheros species could very well cross-breed, though if there are males and females of both I'd say chances are they would rather choose a partner of their own species. most scientists and experts in the field agree that most cichlids are more likely to pick a partner that looks very similar to themselves. an example is that I've heard that colored midas are much more likely to pair up with another colored midas as opposed to a striped midas...even though they are the same species.

HTH

btw, I wound up not getting those fish. I had bad luck my first time around with haitiensis and decided not to try again for a while. and since I didnt' get those I didn't want to pay for shipping for the one sajica. I have recently found some juvenile sajica though and I'm very happy with them. they already show awesome color for their small size. I'll attach a pic. :)

Jason_S
09-09-2004, 08:16 AM
couldn't add an attachment when editing my last post, so here's the pic of one of my 4 juvenile sajica...only ~1.5" long :)

salty
09-09-2004, 08:32 AM
yea, I agree about the looking alike and hooking up, I think my female salv has taking a liking to my male flowerhorn, they kinda chill together, but I dont see to many similar markings on them, I think they are just closer in appearance as compared to the others in my tank. Also, in my opinion a salvini is a much nicer looking fish than the sajica. they are not even that colorful.-salty

fish speaker
09-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Jason_S
I'd be worried that the salvini would actually be too aggressive for the hondurans and the sajica. neither of these species come close to the aggressoin level of their cousin...the convict. sajica and hondurans are quite a bit more peaceful and would probably at the least be nipped up quite a bit by a salvini. ....

btw, I wound up not getting those fish....

That was my concern, actually, since I've read so much about how agressive salvinis tend to be. I guess just keeping one would minimize that by avoiding the mating agression. Just out of curiosity, where were you going to order that sajica from?

And nice little one.:D

Thanks,
David

Jason_S
09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
thanks...I was going to order that large male sajica from a breeder that lives in northern Ohio. I can't remember his name or email though. :( However, if you ever see haitiensis for sale on aquabid and the seller is in the northern Ohio area, I'd bet $$$ that it's him. :)

as for the salvini, you might be able to get away with a female with them in a 90 gallon as it should be large enough for the Cryptoheros spp to stay out of the salvini's way. I'd definitely keep a close eye on the sal though. :D

fish speaker
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm really struggling with the salvini decision (sounds like most of my decisions, lately). I really love the looks of this fish, but am not a fish-fight fan. I have a couple of potential groups of fish in mind, and am leaning towards a less aggressive tank at the moment. Maybe I should go with a Blue Acara instead, or a Nicaragua....But then I find myself thinking that maybe a more aggressive set of fish, matched with the Salvini, would be a better way to go. I guess I should stop over-thinking these decisions, make my decisions, and start looking for the fish that I really want.

Jason_S
09-10-2004, 05:35 AM
the size of your tank is better suited for a community of less aggressive fish. you wouldn't be able to put many aggressive cichlids in it...probably 2, maybe 3 at the most as long as they don't get over 8-9".

I'd stick with the Hondurans and sajica and maybe add a pair of some type of Thorichthys. :)

fish speaker
09-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. After sleeping on it, I have pretty much decided to go with something less aggressive than the salvini...maybe a couple of rainbows would be a better choice, considering the aggressiveness/tank size issues. I am getting ready to put this tank together, and have temporarily placed some of the decorations in the tank...and it really shows me how little space a 90-gallon tank has, when it gets right down to it.

I hate to choose fish like I would choose ties: based on color of the fish under consideration and the color of what I've already picked out. In reality, however, that's part of it. I really like the striking colors that the salvini displays, and the look of the fish in general, but I think I'll wait until I am able to do a larger tank...or on for a couple of salvinis alone.

crazyfishlady
09-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Consider a male one of these. Aequidens diadema. When they are small they are very bvrown & plain, but when (the male at least) adult they are these beautiful colors. & while normally Jeff Rapps has pictures of the most beautiful of the species, I have seen adult males of this species for sale at my LFS & they were WAY better looking than the one in this pic.http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/diadema.jpg
Still not as colorful as a salvini, but in the same color-family to compliment the blues of your sajicas & HRP's, and much less aggressive.