PDA

View Full Version : Mean old Jack

skiitswitch
04-15-2004, 04:42 PM
We have a Jack Dempsey that's about 8 inches long and lives pretty much by himself (now). My dad would really like to add other fish, but he eventually eats almost anything put in the tank... any recommendations?

Ding
04-15-2004, 04:46 PM
name your fish "goat" :lol:

RedParrotBubbles85
04-15-2004, 06:34 PM
what size tank do you have?if your tank is large enough you could try a green terror

skiitswitch
04-15-2004, 07:00 PM
not very large - he's kinda grown into it... we've had him for probably 7 years or so... I think it's a 30 or 35

jennigypsy
04-15-2004, 07:37 PM
hmm..that's kind of small to think of adding anyone else...

I know...Father's Day is coming...how 'bout a new BIGGER tank for your dad & mean ol' Jack..& maybe a friend?(LOL)..any excuse for more tanks...

skiitswitch
04-15-2004, 07:45 PM
hehehe - that's actually a great idea, except I just bought myself another tank today...

jennigypsy
04-15-2004, 07:48 PM
yes...your dad can take care of the tank while you're in chicago!

skiitswitch
04-15-2004, 08:58 PM
hehehe - another great try, but I'm going back to stay with my dad, in Chicago...
:confused: :)

jennigypsy
04-15-2004, 10:00 PM
OK...
Get a fishing magazine...find a nice pic of a fish you like.
Cut it out neatly, and tape it to the back of jack's tank....you'll have the illusion of another fish..without the hassle & death! There..problem solved! :)

LOL!!!!!

skiitswitch
04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Done! Sold!
:rofl:

skiitswitch
05-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Howdy all - looks like mean ol' Jack is getting himself a new tank... I'm setting up a 125 gallon for him and was wondering about your opinions on tankmates. I have been reading and I was thinking of adding a convict and a green terror (maybe a semi-large pleco as well). Would that work? With a 125 gallon, can I throw more fish in there without jack munching them?
Thanks for the help guys - I'm kinda new with americans...
but this tank is going to be CRAZY SWEET! I'm heading over to the Shedd aquarium here in chicago before I build the tank to check out their awesome amazon setups and might borrow some ideas... :dance:
I love setting up new tanks... :D

cichgirl
05-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Great news! Yeah, imo, your jd, a green terror and a convict (or two- but you might want to shy away from any pairs) would be fine.. A pleco would be fine too.

You can try some dithers & targets, depending on fish size.. Giant danios, tiger barbs, Silver dollars and rosey barbs work great. Really, any fast moving schooling fish work well.

skiitswitch
05-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cichgirl
Really, any fast moving schooling fish work well.

5 bala sharks might do...

cichgirl
05-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Bala sharks do work well with jds, but I was advised (by my lfs) against bala sharks with a green terror because the gt keys in on the balas' quick movement. Can anyone confirm this? I never tried the combo for that reason.

skiitswitch
05-18-2004, 12:25 PM
you guys gotta see this deal!! It even comes with store credit!! (i.e. fish)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4301450756
:dance:

jennigypsy
05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
whoa!!! good deal!!! when are you picking it up??? I can't believe all those filters are included!!!! ...you could sell all that stuff individually and double your money!
(but it'd be WAY more fun to put fish in it...)

What kind of fish came w/ it?

skiitswitch
05-18-2004, 01:46 PM
that's what's funny - I have no idea what fish come with it - I found it 7 minutes before it was over... so I jumped on it. Hopefully getting it this weekend... wahoo!! Need to find some sweet logs and stuff

skiitswitch
05-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Alright - picking up my 120 today... I want to put a bunch of wood in the tank... couple questions: Where do I get big pieces of wood?? Like 4' and stuff?? Second, how do I treat it?? Usually you boil it, right?? Well, where do you get a 4' pot?? :D
Any other random SA/CA tank recommendations?? This is the first one I'll be setting up...

crazyfishlady
05-23-2004, 12:16 PM
For wood pieces that size you might try a landscaping place. & I would treat them chemically rather than trying to boil wood that size, I think you could put in bleach & then change water & soak for a very long time until you no longer smell any bleach. OR you could just use the biggest pots you have & pour boiling water over it.

crazyfishlady
05-23-2004, 12:18 PM
BTW In my 120 I have large chunks of wood. They are not 4', but they take up alot of of space & are kind of difficult to move around for gravel vacuuming. You may want to reconsider having just 1 giant piece & go w/ 2 larege instead.

skiitswitch
05-24-2004, 10:09 PM
cool - thanks for the recommendations!

cich1
05-24-2004, 11:38 PM
hey skiitswitch,congrats on the new tank.i think CFL had some good ideas.i would get maybe a couple of 2 or 3 foot pieces of driftwood and maybe one of those plastic storage bins from target and just keep dumping boiling water in until the wood is submerged.:ok:

skiitswitch
06-02-2004, 11:47 AM
bought some more driftwood and plants yesterday night... and mean old jack is a big pansy... he is scared of the bala sharks and doesn't eat any of the little mollies in the tank... bought a GT and a eartheater last night too - the GT took care of all but one molly :D and the eartheater is crazy fun to watch. I'll have to post picks soon - thanks for the help all

jennigypsy
06-02-2004, 02:31 PM
...ate all the mollies!! (these are the fish that came w/ the tank, right?)
...that ebayer who sold the tank & all would probably have a heart attack if they knew you fed their mollies...they prob envisioned them all going to a nice new home..as you smiled & waved goodbye (other than fish heaven)
LOL!!

crazyfishlady
06-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Personally, I think if you're gonna waste a 120 gal tank on mollies, you deserve to have them eaten.:D

skiitswitch
06-03-2004, 09:05 PM
yeah- cfl - it was crazy - I guess he had this 10 in pleco, 10 mollies, some other random fishies, and two of those chinese something-or-others that you can see through. The see-through-fish are the only ones left :D

reefcrazy420
06-10-2004, 01:21 PM
holy crap great deal skiit!! anmd ill have to agree anyone wth that big of a tank on mollies deserves to have them eaten

rsabatini
06-15-2004, 08:34 PM
in a 125, any sa/ca bruiser my ideal tank mates for a dempsey
cichlids-green terror,blue acara,mayan cichlid,blackbelt,midas,red devil,oscar,texas cichlid,red terror,geophagus,salvini cichlid,mated pairs of cons or firemouths to equal out the size advantage and aggression of the jack.
noncichlids-sharks(red tail,bala,rainbowand black)barbs(tiger,tinfoil,cherry)fresh water eels(spiny)elephant nose,clown knife,loaches.
good luck with your tank,take care.