PDA

View Full Version : Convict parents eating fry??!!

jennigypsy
04-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Hello!
My convict pair had about 150 fry a day or so ago..and I swear, everytime I look in there, there are fewer and fewer babies....in the last 2 days, the babies have really become active..swimming everywhere..and the parents seem VERY upset by this (they're the only ones in the tank)...they're forever retrieving babies back to the 'nest'..and the male seem especially rough..like he forgets they're not food!
Are they in fact eating some of the fry?...I KNOW there was more fry earlier today...:(

cich1
04-14-2004, 11:26 PM
jennigypsy,sometimes when cons are inexperienced at raising fry they will eat them.they might also eat them if they are startled.i believe my cons ate all their fry yesterday, as i haven't seen them lately (it's their first brood)this is my first experience with cons so i'm no expert,just throwing around some ideas:)

barramundi
04-15-2004, 01:07 AM
They will also bury their fry if startled, if so then you'll find more fry again in a couple of days. If it's only their first batch or two then there's a good chance they'll eat them. But they'll get the hang of it. You might want to put a few rosey barbs or tiger barbs in the tank to prompt the cons "parental protectiveness." IMHO. :)

jennigypsy
04-15-2004, 07:14 AM
thanks for the ideas...
it IS their first batch...and they WERE startled yesterday..AND...I DID find more fry than last night (buried maybe?):)( how bout all that!..you guys were right on all counts!)
I had been thinking about the barb idea but didn't go anywhere with it yet...maybe it's a good idea after all!

Heyguy74
04-15-2004, 09:34 AM
how big are the parents. I just bought a pair a couple of days ago and would like to know when they might start breeding.

jennigypsy
04-15-2004, 09:38 AM
they're only about 2 inches

cichniss
11-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Cons are usually sexually mature at about 1.5 inches.

parhaam
11-23-2006, 07:38 AM
it is something that's quite possible, not just for convicts ...it's possible for all kind of cichlids and can't say that what actually causes it.however hope to have better chance for next time:ok:

crazyfishlady
11-23-2006, 09:13 AM
2.5 Year old thread. :/ I think jennigypsys got it figured out by now. :lol:

MisanthropeKitty
11-23-2006, 09:30 AM
where do people dig these bad boys up from???? i still like reading the old threads though but i guess i need to start checking dates on threads while i read!

parhaam
11-23-2006, 02:56 PM
lol.this is the second time that this happens for me.
however can't be the last time because i don't spend time to check these things and i'm in harry almost always.
honestly,i really wondered that jennigypsy has a problem like it and now i undrestand that she was yesterday's jenni not today's jenni.
but i'm still trying to do a hattrick:cool: