PDA

View Full Version : Overstocked tank ????

StylinT
04-14-2004, 04:32 AM
Hey guys
im new to this cichlid site buti have kept cichlids for almost a year now
I have a 100 gallon tank with 2 oscars a jack dempsey an 8 port cichlids an 1 pleco

my question is is the tank to overstocked or is it ok i have asked the guy who gave them to me an he says they would be ok the ports that is but i just wanna be certain that they would be ok in this setup ? they have been in there for about a day an there has been some aggresion for territory sicen i just tottaly rearrangede my tank its the oscars that are being the bullys but htey are also the ones with the most damage (missing scales an torn fins)
ill try an get a pic posted so ya can all see
thanks

entombed
04-14-2004, 05:04 AM
Definately overstocked IMO. You have 12 fish that all range on average between 6 and 14 inches. How big are they now? I would think about maybe just having the 2 oscars with the pleco and maybe if your lucky be able to keep a pair of the port acara's. What sort of filtration do you have on the tank?

Vip
04-14-2004, 07:18 AM
yeah way to many fish in there dude, and i reckon that dempsey is going to go for the oscars

StylinT
04-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Thats what i tohughtbut a few people have told me that they will be all ok so i went an go them anyways

I dont care though if they breed or not I justw ant everything to get along which they are doing for the most part there is the odd little chase aroudn the tank

but as for the jack the oscars push him around not the jack pushing them around

as for size here it is
all the ports are full size or alsmost there

oscars are 4-5 inches long
jack demspey is 2-3 inches
an the plce is 5 inches

and as for filtration i have a aquaclear 300 one emperor 208 two sponge filters an a powerhead 802 with filter
there is also alot of granit rock caves all over the bottom with plants to give plenty of cover the oscars usally swim on top of the whole plant an cave thing an rarly go donw to the bottom the jack has his territory marked an chases them every now an them but dosnt really mind them an the ports usally go form cave to cave an only go up to eat

Vip
04-17-2004, 09:41 PM
your tank might seem full now, but imagine when those fish grow up, your tank will look full just with the two oscars and the jack..
i would say can add another pleco to, cause when pleco's get older they get VERY lazy and they just sit there

crazyfishlady
04-17-2004, 10:33 PM
How old are you talking about? My 3 year old pleco keeps my 120 algea free even tho I feed him algae discs.