PDA

View Full Version : change in personality

DrFong
04-13-2004, 10:17 PM
My Oscar seems to have recently changed his entire personality; he used to be very glad to see me and would readily eat out of my hand, even jumping out of the water for treats. Then, over the course of about 2 weeks or so, he completely stopped both of these behaviors. He now refuses to eat anything from my hand and actually shies away from it if I place my hand near the water. I've also noticed that while he used to enjoy chasing my Severum and Geo around, he doesn't do this anymore, prefering to just mope around.

His eating habits have changed as well. While he used to greedily gobble his meals, he now seems to grudgingly accept what I give him, even though I vary his diet greatly. While he used to always be the first to eat, he now lets my Geophagus and Severum eat whatever they want and they're permitted to have the first crack at the food. Sometimes he chews his food and then spits it back out. I feed him a combination of flakes, Hikari Gold pellets, cichild wafers, freeze dried shrimp and more.

Basically, he just seems less enthusiastic about life. My water parameters haven't changed and my other two fish are just fine. I still perform regular water changes and I use a Top Fin 60 AND Bio Wheel 400 filter. I know Oscars are moody fish, but this has been going on about 6 weeks and I'm disappointed. Any thoughts on what might be wrong, or is this just the way it's going to be from now on? Also, I am aware that my tank will eventually be too small - I'm in the market for at least a 150. Thanks very much,
-CJF

Poet8102
04-14-2004, 05:05 AM
My Oscars kinda went through the same "personality" changes. The only thing was that one of mine got hyper aggressive toward my other Oscar. But it eventually went away, the moodiness not the aggression, and they are fine now that the tank is separated. Basically just stick it out, it should be fine.

Vip
04-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Have you changed anything in the tank? when i changed mine around i went through the same thing..
but it also sounds like he might be sick, check close to his head can you see pin sized holes in it?

DrFong
04-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Well, I have changed a few things like my driftwood and plastic plants. In the past, my Oscar would pout for an hour or two and then that would be it, but like I said this has been going on for about 6 weeks which leads me to think that it may be permanent. Also, I don't see any signs of HITH. Ick, etc... but I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks,
-CJF

Vip
04-14-2004, 09:31 AM
heh, you knew what i was getting with the pins eh :)

xjblaine
04-19-2004, 11:07 AM
my terrors did this and it was a hexamita infection, see "green terror confusion" in the health forum....keep your eyes open