PDA

View Full Version : good cichlid for a 29g

drobbins27
04-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Whats a good Cichlid fopr a 29g?

jonah
04-11-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd say a pair of convicts or their relatives would be good, or a pair of firemouths or their relatives like Thorichthys azureus. Rainbows would be another good choice. Many of the Central American cichlids that only get to 5"-6" would be good choices, or a tank of South American dwarfs like Apistos, rams or Dicrossus. Those are usually harder to keep though.

Vip
04-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Depends on what you are after, my best bet would be some smaller type of african, but if your like me and dont like them, then go for a pair of Blue Rams, they are a colorful little cichlid and would feel at home with a 29g to themselfs, and maybe add some small catfishes as well:)

PS: Welcome to the Cichlidsforums as well :)

Damian.....

jonah
04-11-2004, 09:57 PM
I only mentioned the Americans because it's an American forum. I could go all night praising the much flashier African cichlids.

Vip
04-11-2004, 10:32 PM
we must of typed at the same time jonah, because i thought my reply was first and i didnt see yours, but yeah your right........again.............pair of cons would do fine

salty
04-25-2004, 07:06 AM
you can't beat cons. perfect for a 29, try to get a male an female. + they swim all over the place. they are not boring.

Bandit
05-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Convicts without question.

Jason_S
05-03-2004, 11:10 PM
I'd say a pair of convicts or their relatives would be good

The convict has several relatives that are much prettier and becoming more available. A few I'd recommend if you can find them are C. spilurum, C. sp. 'cutteri', C. sajica, C. nanoluteus, and C. sp. 'Honduran Red Point'. The only Cryptoheros species you need to stay away from is C. centrarchus. This is the largest growing species of the genus and would grow too large for a 29. I bought some fish from a lady in Cincinnati who had what appeared to be a full grown male Centrarchus. It was easily 7-8" and controlled the 135 gallon tank it was in. It was quite a stunning fish though.

Jason

RedDevilLover
05-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jonah
I'd say a pair of convicts or their relatives would be good, or a pair of firemouths or their relatives like Thorichthys azureus. Rainbows would be another good choice. Many of the Central American cichlids that only get to 5"-6" would be good choices, or a tank of South American dwarfs like Apistos, rams or Dicrossus. Those are usually harder to keep though.

i totally agree

tbrodale
05-20-2004, 07:01 AM
I strongly suggest shell dwelling cichlids. In my opinion they put on the best show and are the most fun to watch than any other fish you could fit in a tank that size. But thats just an opinion. I have a few pics on my site of some but just do a search for them. They are great.