PDA

View Full Version : tank mates for RAMS

MNCichlid
04-09-2004, 12:22 PM
I am getting a new 75 gallon. I want minmial aggression in the tank. I heard Rams are pretty mellow.

My thougths of tankmates
Firemouth
Checkerboard
Rainbow

What type of schooling fish can go with these guys without being Friday nights dinner?

83Street
04-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Definitely not the firemouth. Might want to consider the checkerboard and rainbow.

bevoman
04-09-2004, 02:54 PM
I agree. How about an eartheater?

MNCichlid
04-13-2004, 05:50 PM
ITs here and ready to go! After cycling that is.

3-4 Rams
3-4 Rainbows

Still undecided on non-cichlids. MAybe Rosy barbs

BlueRam
04-19-2004, 09:14 PM
German Blue Rams (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1084)

Really good German blue ram site (http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/blue%20rams.html)

Bolivian Rams (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1082)

:ok:

Solace
04-19-2004, 09:56 PM
You can keep Apisto's with the Rams as well. I have 3 trio's of different Apisto's in with some Gold Rams right now.

A schooling fish that would work well with the rams would be Beckford's Pencilfish Nannostomus beckfordi. They are a peaceful fish that displays some fantastic color when in breeding dress.

Fish Guy
04-20-2004, 04:20 AM
I'd go with discus and a school of neons.

MNCichlid
04-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I have a school of Neons. I just added 4 keyholes. I let that sit for awhile until I know it is properly cycled. Then I will put Rams in. THe keyholes like to hang out with each other. Pretty cool :)

Solace,
This dude at the LFS was talking that the Apistos can be aggressive. Do you think differently? How is your tank setup?

jimez
04-20-2004, 01:25 PM
MNCichlid, I have kept and bred apistos. The only time that they are even remotely close to aggresive is when they are breeding. But they are no more aggresive that blue or gold rams when spwaning. I think that the two of them would be good together in the same tank. I have only kept them in seperate tanks though (due to trying to spawn them). .

Solace
04-20-2004, 04:48 PM
MNCichlid,

Between the two the Rams are the more aggressive of the two in my experience. If you click my album in my sig then go to my 'softwater' section you can see my setup. It has since been changed drastically.

The apisto's are in a heavily planted bottle fed tank with a group of angels now. I have the Rams in a tank to themselves now doting over what is left of the fry after my mishap with Pepso Food.

Vip
04-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Discus and neon's? heh not in the same tank, my lfs feeds his show discus neon's as a treat every now and then..

I think Blue Acara's would go nice with rams, as well as jewls, dont think jewls are agressive, there only agressive when picked on, but they will go perfect in your tank with the rams and acara's

crazyfishlady
04-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Actually Neons & other small tetras are normally recommended tankmates for discus, but I don't think I'd rcommend discus as a tankmate for something else... they have such specific requirements, you'd need to start w/ discus & build your plan around them.