PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 125 gallon.. well purchasing a setup

president89
12-07-2002, 01:28 PM
What do you guys think this setup would cost me... excluding a stand. i figured out.. approximately $750 to $850.. with the varying due to filter type.... i was thinking of using an Eheim filter... but i wasn't too sure on how many heaters.. or what size..... soo if someone could give me some feedback on this.. it would be cool

Boilermaker
12-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Welcome President,
You may be able to bargain shop, I found my 125 in the newspaper hardly used for 300.00 included heaters, undergravel, powerheads,gravel,top, and plasticplants. Then I bought the stand and lights for another 300.00. Unless your set on a new one I would look in your area, used tanks at petstores,newspaper,aquariumclubs,internet.
I just hate paying retail they mark everything up 300%or better.

You'll have to ask J.Norris on the Ehiems.

president89
12-07-2002, 09:54 PM
what kinda filters should i use.. for potentially big cichlids who wil lmake a mess... any particular brand names...??

jonah
12-07-2002, 11:47 PM
I paid about $200 for my first used 125g with stand, but it needed a lot of work. My second 125g was brand new with a stand and glass tops/lights for $550. I use Aquaclears on most of my tanks. I have a few others left from before, but the last 5 or 6 filters have been AC's. I've got two AC500's on my 125g African tank.

WorldNation
12-07-2002, 11:50 PM
yeh, aqua clears and penguins(330 and 300 only) are great. or if ya wanna go all out, jsut get a Fluval 404

jnorris
12-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Fluvials are used a a lot. But I hear they don't last as long as Eheims. The actual impeller and shaft are suseptable to breaking.
Eheims will cost you, but are much easier to break down and require less effort and money to break down. Fluvials have several seperate compartments that I consider to be a pain to break down and clean.

I haven't broke mine down to clean since I bought it (the first one). It has been about 3 months and it is still running strong. I have taken down to put in more substrate in and it was easy to detach the hoses and pop the top and take out the trays.

http://www.eheim.com

[/img]

president89
12-08-2002, 03:02 PM
i was thikning about those eheims.. cuase i haven't heard anything bad about them yet.. does anyone know a good model... for a 125 gallon tank??? will i need to use it in combo with an aqua clear 500 or could it handle the tank by itself?

jonah
12-08-2002, 03:38 PM
If you're keeping cichlids I'd stick to a couple of HOB's. They're easy to maintain and will provide plenty of filtration. As far as Fluvals go, I've been running a 404 for over a year now and I usually don't even have to prime it. I just fill the can up and plug it in. The multiple compartments gives you more options on what kind of media to use. They also have large sponges for biological filtration. Mine is currently on my planted 55g.

jnorris
12-08-2002, 04:07 PM
I have a Eheim Professional II 2026 and 2028. You would problalby want a 2028 (it is rated for 160 gallons). Like Jonah said his Fluvial works well for him. It would be about $100.00 cheaper to get a fluvial. It will also be easier to find I bet. Eheim is made in Germany and not as easy to get in the states.

The Eheim has three trays for media and two sponge filters one for fine filtering. The second is for the less fine matter.

If you goto the Eheim site they give you an overview of the filters and their output.

I would also recommend getting another filter in the future for a backup. A HOB would be good for this.

president89
12-08-2002, 05:36 PM
i was thinking of putting two aqua clears 500.... i mean thats over 1000gph.. or i was going to invest in a canister.. either the fluval 404.. or an eheim.. now what do you guys think... =) two aqua clears.. is about 100-120 for both.. and a fluval 404 is about 150... i think... would the fluval 404 be more beneficial than having two aqua clears... and if anyone could give me some input on as to what kinda heater i should get??? like an exact model.. or a wattage.. or if i should have two ... or three.. let me know .. by the way.. i would like to credit this board. you guys/girls are great. i have never received input this fast on any board. and as i browse though the board. I dont' seem to see any quarels.. :D thanks guys

jnorris
12-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Ebo Jager heater definately. You may need 2 200s however.

I am sure both ways would be fine. Depends on how much money you can or want to spend.

Also as a side note keep your cat away from the canister hoses. Mine just chewed a pin hole in it. I had to cut that length off. He is hiding now :evil: . I guess he feels it is safer than the electrical cord he chewed on a few months ago. I think he is jelous of the tank.

A cat does look like a football for a reason (quote taken from Jonah).

jonah
12-08-2002, 09:10 PM
[quote:b7a283b602="jnorris"]
A cat does look like a football for a reason (quote taken from Jonah).[/quote:b7a283b602]

Not me. I think it might be Rudy or one of the other guys. That would be an insult to the football.

President89: I'd just get a couple of AC500's from Big Als, it would be about $80 including shipping.

www.bigalsonline.com

jnorris
12-08-2002, 09:21 PM
Perhaps it was rudy....lol

fish-eyed-fool
12-28-2002, 11:41 PM
[quote:690f998f08="jnorris"]A cat does look like a football for a reason (quote taken from Jonah).[/quote:690f998f08]

What the hell kind of footballs have you been playing with?

:D

jnorris
12-28-2002, 11:44 PM
That actually was Rudys quote....and yes my cat should be converted into pigskin...

Gypsy wants me to kill him :shock:

Neil N
12-29-2002, 04:40 AM
i would definately go for Eheims, i live in the UK, so they are easier to get over here, the impeller is definately more robust than on the fluvals, i actually run both, but prefer the Eheims, Germans huh, youve gottat love em, cars and filters.

If you are working on a budget, you could try going onto WWW.EBAY.CO.uk or .com, i got my last filter of there for 45 about $30, never given me a seconds grief, but buying 2nd had is always risky, make sure it's a model you can still get spares for!!

Plus i would alway try to run two or mabey three filter together, 2 x internal 1 x external. that way i can clean one thru, and still be 66% effective while the other one gets up to speed, which is always a good thing with the load these thing put onto filters.

if i can help with getting one over here and shipping it let me know (that goes for anyone), only problem would be re-wiring.

jonah
12-29-2002, 05:10 PM
Would a UK Eheim work on 110v? That's what we have as our standard voltage in the US.

That shipping might be a killer too. :(

jnorris
12-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Eheims are made in Germany. A lot of Europeans use them including Brits.

SGypsyMermaid
12-29-2002, 05:19 PM
[quote:a2371f985b="jnorris"]That actually was Rudys quote....and yes my cat should be converted into pigskin...

Gypsy wants me to kill him :shock:[/quote:a2371f985b]

there's an old book called [u:a2371f985b]101 uses for a dead cat[/u:a2371f985b]: i'm sure that it could give you some great ideas. :twisted: btw--it [i:a2371f985b]was[/i:a2371f985b] rudy.

jonah
12-29-2002, 05:40 PM
[quote:08eefe923a="jnorris"]Eheims are made in Germany. A lot of Europeans use them including Brits.[/quote:08eefe923a]

I know what an Eheim is and where they are made. Some (all) European countries use 220w coming out of their walls so our "made for US use" devices don't work there and vice versa. Many of the Asian nations are the same way. It's kind of like when Toyota makes cars for the UK they put the steering wheel on the right side of the car instead of the left.

There's some new movie that's advertised lately that makes fun of that problem. This newlywed guy is trying to get something plug into a European socket and gets electrocuted. It stars one of those guys from "That 70's Show".

SGypsyMermaid
12-29-2002, 05:43 PM
[quote:e3c307bc27="jonah"]Would a UK Eheim work on 110v? That's what we have as are standard voltage in the US.

That shipping might be a killer too. :([/quote:e3c307bc27]

jonah--big al's sells eheims.

jnorris
12-29-2002, 05:45 PM
I know of a few people there who have them and haven't mentioned any issues about that. I bet if you bought one in England they would either have an adapter or be made for England. If you ever seen a manual from Eheim it has every language known to man in there. It is like a phone book in thickness.

Last time I looked Golden uses 110 volt. Did you know Coors has more water rights than the actual town does....They might be Nazis afterall.

jonah
12-29-2002, 07:13 PM
[quote:86994775f7="SGypsyMermaid"][quote:86994775f7="jonah"]Would a UK Eheim work on 110v? That's what we have as are standard voltage in the US.

That shipping might be a killer too. :([/quote:86994775f7]

jonah--big al's sells eheims.[/quote:86994775f7]

I was referring to Neil's offer to send one from EbayUK. Eheims are much cheaper in Europe than in the US, so Neil suggested buying one there in Europe and then sending it to the US. I'm saying that it might not work with our wiring and the shipping wouldn't make it worthwhile.

Jnorris: Everyone in the US (including Golden) uses 110w, they sell adapters in travel shops, but why bother going to all that trouble when you can just buy one made for US use in the first place. My mom burned out her camcorder when she tried recharging it during a trip to the Philippines. She had an adapter, but forgot to use it. :roll:

When Eheim makes a filter for the US/Canadian market they wire it for 110w. When they make it for the European/Asian market they wire it for 220w. An electrician could wire it directly into your housewiring which comes in at around 220w-240w, but is then converted to 110w for home use. Electric stoves and dryers are usually wired for 220v, that's why they have those massive, weird looking plugs.

bluoval1
01-19-2003, 05:03 PM
I've had my Fluval 404 on my 125 for almost 3 years with NO problems. Would I get another? You betcha. I use all 4 trays in the filter for Bio media. I just clean the pre-filters every water change since I reley on the pre-filters for my only mechanical filter.

jnorris
01-19-2003, 05:10 PM
The Fluvial is problalby the most common cannister filter in the US market. I have had a few friends have issues with the impeller shaft breaking. I personally would choose and have chosen a Eheim over a Fluvial, but not many people use them in the States. Mostly Europe and Austrailia (this is problalby due to where they are made).

Its just my personal choice...

Poet8102
01-21-2003, 07:25 AM
I know that this may be kinda late and you may have found this out by now, but if you haven't try www.bigalsonline.com