PDA

View Full Version : Purigen use

vb4life
04-07-2004, 10:53 AM
I have a penguin 170 and a millenium 2000 running. I just found a bag a Purigen and was wondering where would be the best place to get the most efficient use of the Purigen.

I was thinking of placing it in the millenium just on the tank side of the carbon filter currently in place. There seems to be room between the plactic filter with the carbon and the tank side wall of the filter that would fit the bag length wise nicely.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

chc
04-08-2004, 03:02 PM
That would be fine.

By the way, unless you're trying to get very specific water parameters that would limit your ability to change water regularly, it usually doesn't make sense to use chemical filtration in a fresh water tank. If you change a good percentage of the tank's water each week there will be no need for chemical filtration, so the Purigen, carbon, etc. would be a waste of money.

Chemical filtration is helpful in salt water filtration, though, as extending the time between water changes is a very important goal (since you need to mix the new water very carefully or just add RO water for top offs).

vb4life
04-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks, I am mainly using the Purigen to try and clear up the tank a bit. The water has been cloudy for the last week, and I have read in the forums that Purigen would help clear the water up.

chc
04-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Yes, Purigen and other similar products will take the yellow tint out of water, but so would water changes.

jonah
04-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Cheaper too.