PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tank with fine sand.

jnorris
12-05-2002, 06:31 PM
I just set up a tank with fine white sand. It looks cool and all. Until a cichlid takes a dump and it can be seen from accross the room.

I can't use my python on the sand because it takes the sand with it. I know I once saw a thread on this, but I can seem to find it.

On this tank I am using an Eheim Professional II filter (canister type).

Any words of wisdom (except to not use sand (too late)). If I need to I can add more sand (even if it is a different type). I just set the tank up a few days ago and have a few very expendable aratus and kenyi in there. They won't die anyway.

Paul C.
12-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Try your Python again. Leave the Python about 1 inch or so from the sand. (lower it a bit if neccesary) It will take a couple times to get right and you might take up a little sand every now and then but it won't be enough to matter for a long, long time. Most of your fish waste will not penetrate the surface, making it unneccesary to vacum the sand. Hope this helps.

jnorris
12-06-2002, 10:59 PM
It does. Actually I noticed if I wash the sand then I can add more with less aggitation than crushed corel. Especially with the new Eheim I just put it. It clears it up right away.