PDA

View Full Version : two much filtration? or two much water agitation?

conig
04-04-2004, 01:46 PM
subject sums it up I have a 150gallon 48x24x30

I have two penguin emperors along the top 70g a piece can't remeber the actual model number. a fluval canister with spray bar 100g and a penguin 550 power head with a prefilter water polisher.

I always have little debris floating around this tank, and with a large pacu swimming laps he agitates the water pretty well on his own.

I have slowly gotten more filtration past the two pengiuns and it never really gets better. I have also tried multiple fish combinations and am starting to think the filters just have two much current to the point nothing settles in the gravel, as it is never that dirty when vacuamed.

or that the penguins trap no actual dirt.

If anyone has had an experience like this let me know. on my other tanks I tend to have pretty close to the lowest levels of filtration and they are all crystal clear, but I do get a fair amount of dirt from the gravel.

bevoman
04-04-2004, 03:04 PM
How long have you been running all of these filters together?

conig
04-04-2004, 11:09 PM
the penguins and the prefilteres about 3months now, the canister about 3-4weeks.

I dropped the penguins tonight and my water is already clearer. however I don't know if it will be enough.

conig
04-08-2004, 10:51 AM
the tank is clearer but would like to here if I will be ok. I packed the canister in biological filtration and seeded it in gravel. I will be monitoring the water parameters closely, but was wondering if anyone has had similiar experiences or opinons.

chc
04-08-2004, 02:59 PM
You will certainly have sediment settle in a tank without much agitation. In my tanks, I strive for strong water movement though as I'd rather have the sediment in the filters than in the substrate.

Try to use some micron floss pads with your Penguins. Just cut them to the size of your cartridges and rubber band them to the downstream side of them.

conig
04-09-2004, 10:31 AM
chc thanks for the reply I tried that it seems as though there were just constant streams of sediments floating around the tank and never getting picked up.

I'm going to continue to monitor water for a while and I have tried a couple different filter pads with little or no success. I honestly may just purchase another canister of some kind to hide the hoses.