PDA

View Full Version : Balanced aquarium?

83Street
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
I found an ad for a 55G with everything included for $150. Now I drive on down there and I take a look at the tank. It is a small community of assorted Africans. The man selling it is in his early 70s and said he has kept cichlids for 39 years (!). He swears that his tanks require no maintenance and is completely self-efficient. He has substrate piled to about 3-4 inches and it seems heavily planted. There is no algae growth as the plants take up all of the CO2, leaving none for algae. It is running with an air pump and a Emperor 400. Now this tank is only about 2 years old but it looks filthy as heck. The pH tests to a perfect 8 and ammonia and nitrites are zero, with nitrates at 1-2 ppm. He claims the tank is in a perfect biological cycle as the plants take in nitrates and the super substrate does the rest. Now he goes to tell me he hasn't done a water change in a year and a half! :confused:

Now I'm wondering if this old man is suffering from senility or he has indeed created a balanced aquarium, completely self-sufficient with only food to add. Should I go for this deal?

Seedy
03-30-2004, 09:58 PM
sounds 'fishy' (pardon the pun)...

Rudy
03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
A guy I know claims to just top off his tanks and never does water changes. He keeps african cichlids and "claims" to balance it out the same way your guy does. I personally think he either changes water in his sleep, or sniffs silicone. The only self contained aquarium I have ever heard of is a reef tank. :drink:

Get the tank, but don't believe the hype.

jennigypsy
03-30-2004, 10:14 PM
The set up for $150 w/ everything isn't too bad....SAVE THOSE FISHIES!

83Street
03-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Definitely will be buying this. Comes with all the live plants as well. Think I'll be starting the African tank I've been considering. Thanks guys

Rudy
03-30-2004, 10:27 PM
I say you feed the africans to your buttikoferi :wink:

That is just my unbiased opinion:razz:

es
03-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a good price I was at Wal-Mart earlyer today and they had a 55G with everything cept gravel for 160$.

jennigypsy
03-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Hey es..watch those wal-mart 'deals'...
the hoods are usually 'economy' hoods..and in this case, you get what you pay for..you'll end up replacing it in 6 months...same with the heater it comes with...
If you're in a pinch, then sure..but if not, you're better off getting the better stuff....IMO.

Seedy
03-31-2004, 04:02 PM
JG...he just needs the tank size....I talked him up to the walmart 55 from a petsmart 29...(but I agree about walmart accesory quality) He needs the gallons to start with...he can upgrage his filter/heater/hood later if needed...

es
03-31-2004, 04:32 PM
The 29G I was gonna get was from a LFS called Animal Attraction. I plan on upgrading the heat too. The heater I'm going to upgrade to is about 20$? Don't know exactly. How much are hoods to replace?

es
03-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh the 29G at pestsmart is about 70$ just for the tank.

jennigypsy
03-31-2004, 04:33 PM
55 is better than 29 anyday..no matter how you get it...like I said, in a pinch it's a deal..

es
03-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Also my parents are paying for it so I try to get one thats pretty cheap as I have to pay them back.

83Street
03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Might want to try getting the tank alone for cheaper.

I found everything except tanks are much cheaper online. My LFS sells Emperors for $90 while I can find deals on it online for $45, shipping included. Oh yeah, sometimes decor and gravel is more expensive online. Look around both local and online for the best deal. I always browse through pawn shops and those junk shops for things. Last time I found a nice 125G for $50, negotiable, because it had a small crack running through the side. Too bad I'm not experienced enough with glass to have fixed it.