PDA

View Full Version : Septic tank, or Cichlid tank

Rudy
12-04-2002, 10:07 AM
I ran into a guy at a LFS yesterday who was telling me never to use sand in the aquariums. There is barely any water movement through some portions of the sand especially if you have piled up rocks. This can cause an anerobic bacteria build up that will at one point become septic. IN a matter of days. He explained the process pretty well like he knew what he was talking about. I pulled a Homer Simpson and just nodded and acted like I knew what the hell he was talking about.

Anybody want to shed some light on this???

froggy
12-04-2002, 11:05 AM
rudy,
what he says is partially true, sand can become dead when compacted, especially if its very deep, but takes more than a few days.
I use sand in almost all my tanks, usually no deeper than 1-1 1/2" and every water change i just give the sand a stir up. ive never had any problems doing it this way.

sue

Scotty
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM
To add to Sue's excellent comments, let me add that whether you use sand or gravel, you should always put the rocks down on a bare bottom first, than add your substrate. Besides allowing you complete access to stir/vacuum your substrate, your fish wont be able to cause a collapse by digging under the rocks.

Overawed
12-04-2002, 06:04 PM
My cichs stir the sand up so much, that I will never have to worry about anerobic bacteria. I have a female Johanni who must think she is a male, all she does is build breeding pits. Then my Acei loves to fan his tail over the sand. I also clean the tank every week, take out all the rocks and move my hand through the sand. Just for good measure.

chc
03-02-2003, 02:51 PM
I've read some studies that say, basically, that the hydrogen sulfide issue (i.e. dead spot gasses) is over emphasized. I am told that an aquarium couldn't produce enough to create much trouble. Still, I am leary of the whole deal, so I keep my sand beds thin and stir them regularly (often, you can get fish to do that for you!).

Noelemac
03-02-2003, 03:55 PM
To you people that use hang over power filters and sand, how long do you leave the filters off before the sand settles, or do you even turn them off? I tried sand with a top fin 20 hang over filter and a 10 gallon tank and it was shortly after the filter had problems of grindind and stoping and I had to clean it thouraly. I love the look of sand.

Rudy
03-02-2003, 05:38 PM
[quote:9a4b61eb72]To you people that use hang over power filters and sand, how long do you leave the filters off before the sand settles, or do you even turn them off? I tried sand with a top fin 20 hang over filter and a 10 gallon tank and it was shortly after the filter had problems of grindind and stoping and I had to clean it thouraly. I love the look of sand[/quote:9a4b61eb72]

In all honesty it depends. Most times I wait about an hour, but the trick is to soak the sand the night before. I also use a quick filter 802 to filter out some of the floating particles.

Rudy
03-02-2003, 05:38 PM
[quote:115a7b52cb]To you people that use hang over power filters and sand, how long do you leave the filters off before the sand settles, or do you even turn them off? I tried sand with a top fin 20 hang over filter and a 10 gallon tank and it was shortly after the filter had problems of grindind and stoping and I had to clean it thouraly. I love the look of sand[/quote:115a7b52cb]

In all honesty it depends. Most times I wait about an hour, but the trick is to soak the sand the night before. I also use a quick filter 802 to filter out some of the floating particles.

Having said that I still have some problems.

jonah
03-02-2003, 06:36 PM
I fill the tank by placing a plate on the sand and letting the water [b:95b8e28830]slowly[/b:95b8e28830] fill on top of it. The water fills the tank by overfilling the plate and it doesn't blow the sand around as much. They the next day I turn on the powerfilter filled with polyfilter. When the tank clears in a day or so, I change the media. It worked well with AC500's and an Emperor, but the cheaper filter I tried it with got hammered.

Cichlid Jeans
03-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Footnote to Scotty's post:

I think whether you can put rocks on the glass bottom depends on the scale of things. The info that came with your tank no doubt stated that rocks should be on top of the substrate to distribute the pressure. In a smaller tank, 100 lbs of rock, probably not an issue. But I'd be heading for the exit with big rock loads.

Jeans

chc
03-04-2003, 10:23 AM
You can always place a piece of styrofoam under the rocks to spread the pressure better too.

ReesaPie
03-04-2003, 09:02 PM
when useing sand, how deep is too deep? and is it ok to use say a pengiun 330, or is it not safe with the little propeller?

Mbuniac
03-05-2003, 01:47 AM
Does the grain size of the sand make a difference? I did a little research and found that there are all sorts of grain sizes (e.g. .85-.053 mm). Seems like the larger grain would settle quicker and not be as prone to stir up in the water. What do you think/?
Thanks, Sam

Overawed
03-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Larger grain does help. And yes you can use a Penguin 300 with sand, just make sure you bring the intake tube up higher and away from the sand.

Mbuniac
03-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks OA, that info helps!
Sam

Noelemac
03-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks for answering on my post even though it's riding someone elses. It was just when I heard some of you, when cleaning your sand stir it up on purpose I had to ask. I guess common sense should have told me with something spinning as fast as the twirly thing in the hangover filters goes, and sand inevitibley getting in there it's going to start making noise and grinding down parts.

Adam
03-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Saltwater keepers usually use a DSB (deep sand bed) to harbour anerobic bacteria. Usually, these sand beds are 4"+, and so with a 2 inch sand bed, with fish stirring it up, I don't think that it will be a problem. As for the sand ruining the filters, it's really quite simple to fix. Take for instance today, I added more sand to my 75g tang, and I forgot to turn off the filter. They are two AC500s, and one started to make a grinding noise because of the small particles that went into the impeller. I took the motor off, and filled a sink up so that I could put the motor, upside down, about 3/4 into the water, and turned it on. The sand got washed away, or at least some of it, and then I took the impeller assembly out and wiped it with a towel. I put it back on, and it wasn't making anymore noise. I like the sand, and tanganyika is sand in the wild, so I would wonder why people don't use it in the aquarium. I support sand use everywhere :lol: