PDA

View Full Version : Feeding with overflows

Rudy
03-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Is a chore at the least. If my fish aren't on the ball floating pellets go right down the overflows and into the sump. Anybody have any ideas aside from sinking pellets that would prevent this?

YourPalCM
03-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Did you try a "feeding ring"? You can find them at most local fish stores. It's a ring that is attached to the side of the tank by a suction cup. The ring floats on top of the water. You put the food inside the ring and it won't float away, around the tank or down your overflow.

Fishead
03-29-2004, 09:38 AM
I do not have a overflow system, and do not know how big the outlet is, but perhaps a screen of some sort that you can put infront of the overflow while u feed? Almost like a cut up fish net pulled tight infront of the overflow, U can make a frame for the upperhalf and have it attatch to your aquarium and remove it when you are done feeding or a few mins after the fish eat..

just a suggestion.. /shrug

Rudy
03-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Feeding ring is a good idea Cm. I didn't even thing about that.
Thanks

As far as the Screen in front of the overflows I would be to worried about the screen getting clogged and overflowing my tank.

chc
03-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Rudy, once your fish get to a good size the feeding ring won't work too well. Also, it restricts you from being able to distribute the food to all the fish.

Good thinking on the screen. It can also reduce the flow in general.

Many people just turn off the return pump during feeding (just remember to turn it back on!). A better way is to rig a timer on the pump so that it automatically comes on, say, ten minutes after it was turned off.

Rudy
03-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Just an update. I decided to try the feeding ring. Waste of money.

The current from the overflows sucks the food from underneath the feeding rings no matter where I put it.

Anyboduy know any good sinking pellets?

YourPalCM
03-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Here's another idea. Get a thick square sponge and cut a hole in the middle of it. The sponge will float on top of the water. You can then put the food in the middle of the sponge. I've never tried this, but I once heard someone else say they use a sponge as an alternative to a feeding ring.

chc
03-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Rudy........ good sinking pellets: Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Formula Two.

I buy both and mix them. Rather expensive, but a great food.

conig
03-31-2004, 01:49 PM
omega one has some sinking pellets.