PDA

View Full Version : Best filtration for south american cichlids

peppermint22
03-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Hello! I'm rather new here, and I would like to know what's the best filtration system for south american cichlids, specifically dwarf cichlids and angels. Undergravel? Sponge? Mechanical?

Poet8102
03-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Undergravel and sponges themselves are mechanical filtration systems. Biological filtration is what the bacteria do in the tank. All of the mechanical filtration systems should allow for the Biological component to be developed in side of it so, you need mechanical and biological filtration for, not only SA cichlids, but for all tank inhabitants. If you are asking what type of mechanical filtration is the best, then I would have to say either a H.O.B. filter or a canister. Canisters tend to be much more expensive and some say it is a hassel to clean them. The cheaper choice, which in my opinion is just as good, is the the hang on back filters, such as the Aqua Clear and the Whisper systems. With both choices you have to get the appropriate size filter for your tank. You want on that filters the water at least 10x an hour. So if you have a 29 gal tank then you would want one that filtered at about 300 gph. If you look in the beginners forum and the lounge there are discussions on the best type of filtration available.

Good luck on your endeavours and welcome to the forums.