PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank to other side of room

dmiles7
03-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I would like to move my 55g to the other side of the room....not sure what steps to take though...any suggestions

thanks

jonah
03-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Get yourself a big rubbermaid container to hold the fish, drain the tank, remove the equipment (hood/filters), pull out the rock and get somebody to help you move the tank. If you do it quickly, you won't have to do anything extra for the fish to be okay.

Get as much water out as possible, because water is heavy and you don't want it sloshing all over the place while you move the tank. That could cause leaks down the road.

When you fill it back up again, don't use cold water, or you'll have to wait until it get's up into the 70's to put the fish in. I use lukewarm water with a big dose of dechlorinator as it fills up.

dmiles7
03-27-2004, 02:58 PM
How much of the old water should I keep?

jonah
03-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Whatever fits in the rubbermaid. Most of the bacteria you'll want to save is in your filter and on the surfaces of the tank, so you'll want to keep the rocks damp and the filters damp.

dmiles7
03-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Well here is what I did.

Emptied 3/4 of the water
Took out 2 of my 3 big holey rock
Unhooked the Fluval 404
Unplugged everything
Then I put those little furniture mover things underneath each corner of the tank and slid it across the carpet.
I did it by myself...it moved slowly but I got it done

Hooked everything back up and it
Added water
Been running for 3 hours and it is donig great...the fish seem to be fine

Those things I put underneath to slide it really worked well