PDA

View Full Version : Sick Cichlid

metrov
11-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi, I have a sick cichlid, but I don't know what species he is or where he's from. (Actually, it could be a "she.") Anyway, he's become very lethargic, not moving much, and often tilting to one side as he sits on the bottom of the tank. He's developed a white patch on his side that he never had before. He's large, about six inches long, and one of my favorite fish. I have a 100 gallon tank with 15 or so other cichlids... everyone else is doing fine. I'd hate to lose this one. Anyone have any tips about what I can do to try to save him? Thanks!

why_spyder
11-28-2013, 02:49 PM
I would treat with salt and something like Melafix as a start. If you have carbon in your filters, remove it. Do a decent waterchange (25-35%), add salt to the tank (1 tablespoon per 10g of water), and add Melafix or another anti-bacterial medication.

EDIT: because it may be fungal, I would go with Pimafix instead of Melafix.

metrov
11-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I would treat with salt and something like Melafix as a start. If you have carbon in your filters, remove it. Do a decent waterchange (25-35%), add salt to the tank (1 tablespoon per 10g of water), and add Melafix or another anti-bacterial medication.

EDIT: because it may be fungal, I would go with Pimafix instead of Melafix.

Great, thanks so much for the advice. I'll give it a try.

why_spyder
11-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Please keep us posted with an update. By the way - welcome to the forum! :ok:

metrov
11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Went to my local pet store, and the young man working there was very knowledgeable. He suggested putting my fish in quarantine with some salt. Problem is I don't have a "sick" tank for such purposes. So I rigged up a quarantine chamber from a gallon water bottle. I cut the top off, made some small slots in the sides, and suspended it in the main (100 gal) tank. So the quarantine chamber gets the warmth and circulating, aerated water from the main tank, but the fish gets the extra salt dosage. I'll add a little salt every day until he's well. But the water bottle plastic is also clouded, so he can't see the other fish which should help reduce his stress as well. Hopefully, he'll be doing better in a few days, then back into the main tank.

Parrothead
11-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Welcome as well.

The problem with your idea is the sick fish is still in the main tank, still part of the system, the reason we quarantine a fish is to remove the chance of illness spreading to the other livestock, while you have separated the fish from the others, it is still a part of the main tank, as in the water filtering the jug is the same water that is flowing through the tank, follow me. And as the water flows through the "jug" with the salt, it is also flowing into the main tank adding salt to it, no separation. jmho.

PhishNFilly
11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
I will chime in......I agree with Robert, you need a quarantine tank especially for these times. It's impossible to medicate a tank that big, trust me I have been there and it will break your piggy bank. Any tank over a 10 gallon will work. With that many fish in this tank tho I almost say go ahead and medicate the whole kit and kaboodle if it's a fungus happening more than likely all the fish are in jeopardy. Do the salt and big water changes and if nothing happens in a weeks time then look into medication or remove that fish to a tank so it can mend in peace.

I will add that a 50% water change is what I would do, do the salt and do water changes at least once a week at 50%. Now I am sure some with balk at this but I feel that water changes will fix 90% of problems in the aquarium!

It might be aggression as well and you just didn't notice and it became infected for the fish, sometimes we don't eye ball our tanks as often as we should and when we do spot something it's already in a dire situation. Good Luck. Julia