PDA

View Full Version : Electric blue losing scales.

mwhite638
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
So this morning I went to feed my fish and noticed my electric blue ahli had what appeared to be a large amount of scales missing and is being harassed by one of the hybrid cichlids I bought. I'm going to try and post pics to be sure that it's not something else like some weird disease. I'm trying to think of my options and the first that came to mind was to pick up a hospital tank for him. Is 10-20 gallons enough or will I have water quality issues ? Second option is to get rid of the hybrid fish which i may do anyways. All of this just happened today and before all of my fish were getting along just fine. I would really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks

mwhite638
11-11-2013, 03:34 PM
A few more things to add in. My water quality is great with no ammonia or nitrites and very minimal nitrates. The stock list Is: 1 demasoni
1 auratus
2 red jewels.
1 weird hybrid cichlid that I bought at petsmart
1 duboisi
2 milomo
1 electric blue. I also tried posting a picture but there was no option for that.

geneyes
11-11-2013, 05:51 PM
need more information about your tank ?, what size is your tank ,the mix of fish you have are going to be a problem, depending on the size of your tank?

mwhite638
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
The tank is a 55 gallon. 48x12 I think

mwhite638
11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
The majority of the fish are juveniles accept for the electric blue, demasoni , and auratus

why_spyder
11-11-2013, 06:14 PM
So this morning I went to feed my fish and noticed my electric blue ahli had what appeared to be a large amount of scales missing and is being harassed by one of the hybrid cichlids I bought. I'm going to try and post pics to be sure that it's not something else like some weird disease. I'm trying to think of my options and the first that came to mind was to pick up a hospital tank for him. Is 10-20 gallons enough or will I have water quality issues ? Second option is to get rid of the hybrid fish which i may do anyways. All of this just happened today and before all of my fish were getting along just fine.

If you know the Sciaenochromis fryeri is getting harassed then there is a good chance it could be missing some scales. 10-20g aquariums make great hospital tanks. If possible, add filter media from an established tank to instantly cycle the hospital tank. Getting rid of the known bully can help the dynamics of the aquarium. It isn't uncommon for a mix of species to go bad overnight - but the odds can be greatly reduced through smart stocking.

1 demasoni
1 auratus
2 red jewels.
1 weird hybrid cichlid that I bought at petsmart
1 duboisi
2 milomo
1 electric blue.

The tank is a 55 gallon. 48x12 I think

Based on this stocklist, I would consider restocking the aquarium. Sometimes going with a random mix works out, other times it doesn't. Species like Melanochromis auratus and Placidochromis milomo need a bigger tank than a 55g (generally something 6' long instead). Hemichromis species are riverine cichlids and they may or may not work well with the other Rift Valley species - their social structure, behavior, and diet is different for the most part.

The Tropheus duboisi may work with more mellow species of Malawians, but I generally don't recommend mixing lakes.

geneyes
11-11-2013, 06:21 PM
+1 brian ,i agree ,55 gallon way to small for that mix of fish ,

mwhite638
11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I suppose I should have done some research before taking the persons advice at the fish store on my selection. Is there any articles you would recommend on cichlids that would work for my tank? I'd still like to stick with Africans but I want my fish to be healthy over anything. Thanks again.

geneyes
11-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the forum,sure you can google everything on fish ,theres all kinds of information out there ,i suggest you decide what kind of fish tank you want,mbuna,peacock,haps. Then read all you can .you can pick one fish you really want and come back here ,lots of good people can suggest tank mates for them.do you want all male tank,or females ,dietary needs ,youll want to aquascape your tank for the fish you choose. Any questions just ask thats why this sites here so we can help each other be better aquarists.