PDA

View Full Version : how long can young cichlid survive without eating?

cdnixon3
10-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I posted last week about my young cichlid (he's about 2 inches) floating around the top of the tank and appearing very disoriented (swimming sideways and running into glass and rocks) and the other fish were picking on him so his fins looked ragged and had some scales picked off his side. I moved him to my other tank about 3 days ago and he is doing much better and is swimming better and seems to have his control back but he still isnt eating. I was curious how long he would survive without eating and if theres anything I can do to help his appetite? I hate to see him doing so much better and then die from malnutrition :( please help...thanks!!

Heyguy74
10-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Most cichlids can last for weeks without eating. Not saying its good for them all but they are pretty hardy. What type of fish are we talking about? You need to treat him he's sick. Stress can cause internal parasites. Usually when they stop eating this is the cause. Try treating with metronidazole. Treat the water and offer a little food after a few days. Post a pic of the fish if you can.

cdnixon3
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
eating today and swimming all around the tank, he seems to be doing much better! I will be keeping a close eye on him. Even though he looks alot better and is now eating should I still medicate? looks 10x better than when I put him in there but still not 100%, but was so excited to see him come out and eat today. http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/cdnixon3/null_zpsfa3c4575.jpghttp://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/cdnixon3/null_zps9cf987b9.jpg

Heyguy74
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
That's great news. No need to medicate if he's eating. A water change will help. Add some salt (NaCl) this will help with healing his wounds.

cdnixon3
10-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Great! Thanks so much! I was so worried but super happy that he's eating! Feels great that I was able to save him, thanks for the advice :)