PDA

View Full Version : Treating Maracyn and Maracyn 2 at same time... water changes

mcavana
10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I am treating a Columnaris outbreak. Unfortunately I failed to quarantine a new fish that ended up having it. Once his symptoms showed I quickly removed him from the main tank and put in a hospital tank. Now a week later 4 more fish have it in main tank, so I am going to go ahead and the treat whole main tank to get rid of it for good. My treatment plan is water temp of 76 degrees and normal dose Maracyn and Maracyn 2 at same time for the 5 days. I will also salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. How do you pros out there administer this medicine? It is an overpopulated 55 gallon tank. I usually do 50% water changes once a week... sometimes twice a week. All of my numbers are always on spot.

Should I be doing water changes during these 5 days? (I have the easiest system in the world to do water changes so I would have no trouble at all changing water daily if it would help.)

Also feedings... I never overfeed... should I continue to feed during these 5 days or feed lightly? what is best?

Also water level... should I keep the water an inch or two lower then usual to create more of a HOB filter drop for keeping oxygen levels up or is that counter productive with the meds?

why_spyder
10-10-2013, 06:02 PM
My only experience with Maracyn Plus was here (http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?39338-Lethrinops-With-Fin-Rot-I-Think). It has been quite a while since I have used it, but I think feeding lightly should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the water level if you do go the route of daily waterchanges.

geneyes
10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
columnaris is a gram negative disease so using maracyn 1 which is a gram positive treatment is a waste of time ,you can use maracyn 2 which is minocycline which is gram negative treatment ,if they were my fish i would use kanamycin which is gram negative treatment,add salt, lower temp to 75 degrees ,increase oxygen levels ,keep lights off as much as possible ,pwc,treat for five days . good luck ,i hope everyone can learn a lesson from this quarintine all new fish for two weeks .

Heyguy74
10-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I would still treat with marayn 1 just in case of secondary infection.