PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my texas. He barely eats, and I noticed white stringy poop this morning.

Somejerksmonk
07-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I have had a green texas cichlid for about 3 months now, when we first got him he was eating and the ruler of the tank. About a month ago I added a Jack Dempsey which terrorized the texas to the point he would not come out and eat. I ended up taking the Dempsey back to my LFS and thought the texas would start eating again, it's been about 2 weeks and I have seen the texas eat a hand full of times. I started doing research and found where they can be picky so I bought some live feed (ghost/glass shrimp and some guppies), he ended up eating a few of both. This morning I woke up and my boyfriend noticed him hanging out by the filter (which he started doing when I brought the Dempsey home) and he had white stingy poop coming out. I know this is a sign of parasites, but I have also read live feed can sometimes cause this. His color is also very pale, and will only come out when eating.

I currently have a 55gal (about to be upgraded) with the texas, 2 small oscars, and 2 convicts. Water stays at 78, pH is 7, I feed them New life spectrum and beef hearts from time to time. We do a 25% water change weekly, and a 40% water change and vacuum the gravel once a month.

Unfortunately I was not able to snap a photo as I was already running late for work. Any help is appreciated!

Forgot to add: all of the other fish seem to be doing just fine, showing no signs of illness. I am going to go get a 10gal sick tank for the texas today, should I treat the whole tank with medicine?

IanR29
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure about central/with Americans but with Africans the white stringy poop can be a sign of bloat. Normally deadly in African cichlids, some say its a stress thing and some say its a parasite. If your Texas is clogged try adding some Epsom salt in the tank or put Jim in a quarantine tank that has Epsom salt in it. It's a natural laxative and should clear his system. Hopefully someone with cichlids in your department chimes in.

Somejerksmonk
07-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Thank you for your input! I plan on getting a 10gal sick tank and putting Epsom salt in it, along with some frozen peas. I am also going to buy some medication, but I may wait on it and see what the Epsom salt does. He doesn't look bloated, but like I said his color is very pale, and he just isn't acting like his old self.

ZERO
12-18-2013, 04:05 AM
I see that your post is months old. Is your fish still alive? Epsom salt wont kill the bacteria that causes your symptoms. Buy some Metronidazole.