PDA

View Full Version : hopefully another cichlid saved

geneyes
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
so i dropped off my son at the movies on saturday (his first date) and i had some time to kill so i stopped in to a lfs close by. i hadnt been there for two years since i went in and was going to buy a fish and when the guy was trying to catch the fish he coudn't see it because of all the crap in the tank he stirred up. the tank probably hadnt been cleaned maybe ever? so im looking in the peacock tanks and i see this little peacock in with 8 venustus and he has popeye and you can tell he is on deaths door hes swimming sideways and bumping into the glass. so i ask the girl working the counter if she knew she had a very sick fish in the tank and she precides to tell me that yes she knows the fish has popeye and there treating it. apparently there idea of treating sick fish is to put it in with 8 healthy venustus which they were selling. so they were asking 20.00 dollars for this fish which is probably one day away from the swirly tank.so of course i had to argue with her for 15 to 20 minutes that if she didn't actually treat this fish it wont make it more than a day.since i could tell that she didn't really care whether the fish lived or died i decided to be enough of a pain in the ass that she gave me the fish for three dollars . allthough i realized i had about a 25% chance of saving him i still had to try so he's on day three of 50% water changes and med's he started eating today and he's swimming a little straiter the swelling in the eye is down just a bit he still looks very rough but for the first time i see some hope for this lucky little cichlid.

merlin
05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Good save, hope the little fellow makes it and turns into a beautiful peacock for you!

fishkeeper01
05-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Thumbs up to you i like what you did.

Parrothead
05-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Keep us posted, good save:clap::clap::clap::clap:

PhishNFilly
05-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Great story and I do hope the fish pulls thru for you, nothing in this world is better than plain ol water changes and a little salt. It reminds me of when I saved my female Red Devil..... I had just lost my male Red Devil and had a 50 gallon tank open, I was heart broken losing him, his name was Humpty. Anyway I went up to my LFS to get something I forget what now but I wandered around the store and came upon a small cramped tank with no less than 50 Red Devils inside it. They were beat to hell, bruised up/lips torn/almost scaleless and fighting with each other......I went up to the store owner and raised hell with him on the conditions of the fish in this tank, his excuse was "I dont have any where to put them". I went home and looked at my empty 50 gallon sitting there, I went back up to that store picked out the Red Devil I wanted and took it home and refilled the tank, thank goodness I didn't clean it or the filters. I figured if the fish is going to die at least let it die in a big tank without anything tearing it apart.....with water changes and salt/melafix and patience and some time, I nursed that fish back to health and her lip repaired and I slowly watched her scales come back. I still have her after 4 years I believe now ( would have to go back thru my posts) and she's hell on wheels:lol:, a typical Red DEvil and her name is Tootsie! Keep us posted on how this goes for you, most would turn a blind eye to a sick fish, I commend you for doing this :clap: Julia

geneyes
05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
well i thought the little guy was going to give up on me through day three he was laying down on the bottom of the tank. the swelling of the eye made it almost impossible for him to swim he just smacked his head on the bottom he was very disoriented. so i had this gel ball about the size of a softball and i put a dent in it kind of like a catchers mit i set him in the middle of it and set it across the tank from the filter flow so got some water movement. he was able to stay upright just trying to bide time for the epsom salt,melafix and erythromycin to do its thing.by day five the swelling had come down and he started swimming around a little searching for food though the swelling is gone the eye has sustained some damage well have to wait and see how much it heals. well were on day 7 now and he has gained weight hes swimming around pretty well i was afraid for awhile he might have some swim bladder damage but now i think its just the affects of the illness. unless theres any internal damage i think hes going to make it. im so thrilled the little guy is a real fighter it just amazes me how tough cichlids really are. so i guess well see how the eye heals before i decide which tank to put him in. if he can handle the big tank with the friskier peacocks or the chitande tank with the mellower peacocks. thanks for the kind words really i just do it for the love of the fish.

geneyes
09-01-2013, 06:42 PM
so i thought i would give you an update on my rescue fish ,hes doing great the eye has healed almost completely ,hes gained his weight back and looks very good ,hes still young and just starting to color up,im curious to see what he actually is as i can tell hes not a peacock possibly a hap? he gets along great in my chitande tank with my mellower peacocks .heres a couple of pics hes still a bit flighty so there not real great.

MyCichlidsHeaven01
11-14-2013, 07:29 AM
awww what a really nice storey to read :) and with a happy ending too! That was really kind of you to take that fish home and save it's life as you did. :)

Red Zebra
11-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Great thread!