PDA

View Full Version : GREEN WATER! help plz

dwarfcat
03-16-2004, 11:37 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank with an aqua tech 5-15 HOB filter. I cannot keep my water clear. I will change most of the water and add stress coat and wash out the filter. Then in 3-4 days my water is so green its hard to see the fish. I got some clearwater stuff from walmart and added that. ITs been almost 8 hours and the water looks worse than ever. Will i just have to keep changing the water every 4 days forever?? I have a ton of fish in there right now. Pacu, dovii, green terror, firemouth, jewel, convict, 2 pleco, salvini and a goldfish. I know its too small but all of the fish are around an inch long right now and dont bother each other. In the near future i am upgrading to a 55 gallon and selling back most of those fish. I just need some advice on keeping this water clear its driving me nuts.

bevoman
03-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Since you know there are way too many fish in this tank, I will remind you that that creates a bioload that that tank and filter just cannot handle. I believe that is the source of your problem.
Just my opinion. The sooner you sell back most of those fish and get a better tank, the better your results will be.

WineTechie
03-18-2004, 09:47 PM
I usually hang in the African section, but started having the same problem. I know my bioload is not a factor (5x 2" fish, 1 7" pleco in 55g, Emperor 280, UGF with 2 powerheads). Tank's up for 4 months, did 40% change Saturday, 20% today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate probably 40+-?, test kit is at home, tank at store. 1 30w light on about 10hrs / day.

Rudy
03-18-2004, 10:42 PM
You have an algae bloom going on. Excess phosphates in the water feed the algae to the point it is dangerous to your fish as it uses up a lot of oxygen.

For that small of a tank I would turn off your lights and cover the tank with a blanket for a couple of days. This should keep the algae from blooming any further. Also get a phosphate sponge for your filter. This will suck up the excess.

Also maybe post your stocking in the american section as I really don't even know where to start. :jaw:

jennigypsy
03-18-2004, 10:46 PM
rudy gave some great advice! I just read about the 'green water' in a magazine....they said to do exactly the same as rudy.

dwarfcat
03-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Ok thank you very much for the help. I have already got all kinds of hell for my poor stocking choice on such a small tank. =( I now see what people are talking about. It wont be long before an upgrade. The seem healthy and eat like pigs for now.

mr_climbatize
03-23-2004, 05:06 AM
i have only ever green water when my tank gets too much sunlight...

u dont allow your tank to get sunlight do u?

dwarfcat
03-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Nope, it is in a dark corner of my dorm, but the tank itself has lights in it. Im not sure what kind so we will call the "after market lights" (didnt come with tank) they are alot whiter and brighter than the original ones. The water is now on its 3rd day since i changed it all...........basically boiled the fake plants and stuff.......took out the gravel....hosed down the filter and put new water in. I just hope it doesnt go bad again.

crazyfishlady
03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Your new problem will probably not be green water, but that you just washed away your biological filter. Keep a close eye on the ammonia levels & good luck.
I would recommend going to your LFS & buy some kind of starter that will help reestablish some beneficial bacteria in your tank.

Rudy
03-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Not to mention changing water will add more to your phosphate problem.

dwarfcat
03-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Its the end of day 3. The water is the clearest i have ever seen it. It almost looks unnatural. I have no idea what i have done but so far so good. The fish are eating like freshly released hostages and all seems well.