PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse system 12

dmiles7
03-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Filter question....instead of using the ones that are made for this system can us use anything else.....for the water to go over before it hits the bio-wheel....just thinking there might be a cheaper way than to buy those expensive replacement cartridges

Seedy
03-15-2004, 10:43 PM
I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the eclipse hood/filters...but that being said...

Yes you can modify them, I would recomend doing the same with the cartriges that others have recomended for the Marineland/Emperor filters...tear the floss off the frame and replace the floss, add carbon inside (if you want it) or other media and rubberband the bad boy back together...or just rinse in non-chlorinated water to remove the detritus and put it back in...I like to keep the same floss or sponge the whole time I have a filter so that I get a healthy bacteria colony...Biofiltration really is the most effective kind of filtration so even if the original carbon in the filter is "dead" you are still providing good surface area for your bacteria colonies...

*thinking about what an eclipse looks like*...has any one ever taken the cartriage out and added their own media to the 1st spill over?