PDA

View Full Version : oscars are eating new rocks?

sublimenal
03-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Hello nice forum BTW,

I have 2 Oscars, one is a black tiger and one is a orange tiger. they are about 8-9 inches long now. i recently upgraded from a 30 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank and we got rid of the gravel and put in those flat marble like things. both of the fish are now going down to it and looks like they are trying to eat them and spits them out. im just wondering if this is normal behavoir or maybe i should take these rocks out and put in some gravel. i just dont want them swallow and choke and die. thanks for your replys.

sincerley
tony
:sygypsy:

the209jungalist
03-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Sounds normal, they're probably just rearranging. I have a fish that can pick up 2 marbles in his mouth and completely close his mouth, talk about scary!

Watcher
03-12-2004, 07:33 PM
normal

sublimenal
03-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Oh thanks thats good to know!!!! thanks for the reply so quick.

Vip
03-14-2004, 03:05 AM
orange oscar?

sublimenal
03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
yeah my fish oscar is orange. i took a picture of him here

http://sublimenal.com:800/fishes/DSCN1310.png

sublimenal
03-14-2004, 11:42 AM
yeah thats funny you say that now becuase now he is actually rearranging lol. he picks a few up in his mouth swims to another location and drops them there lol. its funny watching him do this. these fish are amazing!!

sublimenal
03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
LOL hes still doing it!!! its like the fish is taking rocks and just piling them up. it keeps on making bare spots so all the rocks are moved. u think that maybe hes a she and is trying to clear a spot to lay eggs? i dont know that much about these fish and there mating habits.its even turning different shades of orange, more orange the white. i dont understand i thought it would stop after awhile be keeps on going!

Avie
03-16-2004, 09:10 AM
My oscar has smooth river stones in her tank. They are 1/2-1" big. One of my other oscars (no longer with us) used to suck them up and spit them back out all the time. I didn't realize what was going on until I was hearing a clacking sound and walked in just in time to catch him poofing one back out. I've heard rumors about baby oscars dying from eating small gravel, so i was concerned at first, but he never seemed to have a problem. His cause of death was completely unrelated.
I think they just make their tank home and rearrange it how they like. My current oscar moves all of the rocks out of her favorite places to hide. I think she is essentially making a small 'hole' to hide in.. or maybe a bed.. i dunno. lol Oscars are just notorious for rearranging their tanks, so I think you can safely say that it is completely normal behavior.