PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh!!! Babies!!!

csd0619
03-09-2004, 11:20 AM
hey all!
I am fairly new to having cichlids...Have had aquariums of one sort of another my whole life..but that is another story.
I had suspected that one of my female cichlids was holding eggs, but lo and behold, when I was doing a partial water change last night, I netted her and put her in a refugium, and out of her mouth darted a couple of little bitty fry.
THe egg sacs are still quite large, and beside that they look like little swimming hairs with big eyes.
My question are as follows, when should I "strip" her of the fry and keep the fry in the refugium? #2 what, how and when should I start to offer them food?
I am almost positive that these are red zebra cichlids that have bred, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!

SGypsyMermaid
03-13-2004, 01:49 PM
how big is the refugium? if you keep her isolated, you can let her hold them until she spits them.

csd0619
03-14-2004, 09:55 PM
well, great news!
I am the proud grandpa of 24!! bouncing baby cichlids!!!
the little buggers are really nothing more than swimming eye balls, with tiny little striped bodies!!
I have set them up in a 5 1/2 gallon tank (used water from the aquarium the hatched in).
They are moderately taking really fine smashed up spirolina flakes.
There was a few that died before I could get them into the new tank, that was due to the other male cichlids in my main tank smashing into the refugium netting and smooshing the poor little guys! I will see if I can get the pics uploaded I'll put pics of momma, daddy and babies

THanks for the advice!:party:

SGypsyMermaid
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
congrats, gramps!:dance: