PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water issue......

jnorris
11-19-2002, 09:48 PM
I have a 90 gallon.

I am guilty of overstocking (because I am a kid in a candy store with africans)

My question is what would cause cloudy water. My Ph and water quality seems ok on paper. It is driving me nuts.....................

Also I am really filtering my water.

Ehiem canister (connected to a UGF)
1 Whisper 2 with carbon in the biobag
1 Penguin Biowheel
1 Powerhead Pinguin 650 (connected to a UGF)

I do weeekly 30-40% water changes
I have crushed corel for substrate

Any suggestions?

Overawed
11-20-2002, 10:40 AM
Perhaps the coral is still letting powder go?

SGypsyMermaid
11-20-2002, 12:37 PM
isn't that tank still cycling?

Chet
11-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Try some Seachem Purigen. Really cleared up Rudy's Red Devil tank and my Jag tank. Seems to do a much better job than carbon, lasts much longer, and is renewable with a treament of household bleach. Just an idea.

jnorris
11-21-2002, 08:58 AM
I have had the tank up for 3-4 months now. I had some issues with ICH a few wekks ago and made the mistake of adding rid-ich +. Which I don't recommend anyone try.

I guess it could be the crushed corel and 90 lbs of lace rock that is giving it a white cloudy color.

I am pretty sure my tank isn't cycling. The Nitrates and Ammonia are nonexistant.

There is a fair amount of crushed corel dust under the UGF still. I might siphon my UGF out really well this weekend. That is one drawback to having so much rock, it makes cleaning tanks really difficult.

Thanks,

Boilermaker
11-21-2002, 11:49 PM
I had the same thing happen to the 125, all I could figure is the UG wasn't getting a chance to build a good bacteria bed cause the other filters were pulling all the waste out, like you I had good readings but I kept getting bacteria blooms,till the UG was established.

Good Luck!

and how are your nitrites?

jnorris
11-22-2002, 12:55 AM
That makes sense. I guess I will let nature take its course and hopefully it will find an equilibrium. I am starting to find that the more I try to fix things the more I wreck other elements (i.e water quality ect.)

I think I need to leave this tank alone (besides general cleaning) and go shopping for a 70 gallon.

I have made alot of changes with filters (mostly additions). I think this tank is pretty good for now and see what happens.