PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates - Oscar killed 4 others - Please Advise!

Avie
03-05-2004, 08:59 AM
In my 55 gallon tank, I currently have one tiger oscar (about 7 inches), two tinfoil barbs (about 5 inches), and a pleco (about 7 inches). I've had 5 oscars over the last year, and the remaining one is the original. Over the last year she has killed FOUR equal sized tank mates. Now, there are no other oscars left.

She killed the last two in the past month. The very last one died two nights ago. :( I have never seen her act aggressively towards the tinfoils. Frankly, I think she is too lazy to chase them down. The pleco, on the other hand, fights with her all the time. She bites him a lot :mad: , and they fight for certain hiding places. I never really worried about it until now because plecos have spikes. I thought he was tough enough.

This morning when I woke up and turned on their light, he didn't hide. He was still breathing but was not sucked to the bottom like usual. One of his pectoral fins has a large slit in it that I never noticed before.

Do you think that my killer oscar will strike again? Or is her killing spree finished now that she is the only oscar and the boss of the tank? Please advise!! I don't want to be subjecting my other fish to cruel and unusual torture by keeping them in there with my oscar. :nervous: What should I do??

Rudy
03-05-2004, 09:07 AM
A lone oscar barely squeezes into a 55 gallon tank and so I would suggest taking the other fish out of there and letting it have it space.

cichgirl
03-05-2004, 09:14 AM
plecos are tougher than you think.. I've never had one killed by an oscar - I haven't had one as mean though. The fin will heal, that is really their only spot that an oscar can get a hold of.. If you've ever tried to grab a pleco, you'd understand what I mean.. hehe..

I wouldn't put any more fish with that oscar. Some are just hyper-aggressive and should only be kept by themselves. Plus, a 55 is what she considers her territory right now and being as aggressive as she is, she won't give up any portion to a contender. Unless you get a bigger tank, she'll keep breaking your heart and ripping up your money. She sounds like a meanie!

stoopid
03-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Bigger tank, or something meaner! lol

Plecos can 'hold their own'. Mine used to chase my flametail and calvus around. Now that there's more cichlids in the tank, he seems to have stopped (especially seems to be concerned about the Chocolate which is 8+", he runs everytime the choc. is near). Cichlids are no match for a pleco's tough skin and spikes. Ever see a pleco whip their tail? They even carry a small arsenal!

Avie
03-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I know a full grown oscar needs at least 55 gal to itself, but I was hoping she had a little growing to do before it got to that point. :wink:

I definitely don't plan on adding any more fish though. Taking anyone out isn't really an option since the only other tank I have is 10 gal... they are all too big for it. Perhaps I'll sell a couple.

Anyone want a sweet little oscar? :D lol

Rudy
03-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Avie if you were near me I would take it. I have been looking around for and aggressive oscar that somebody has and wants to trade up.

Big Whattie
03-05-2004, 09:55 AM
i might where you live at?
and how big is she?

Watcher
03-05-2004, 08:07 PM
seems small for a year old