PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead

Rudy
11-18-2002, 09:41 AM
I am a little p.o.ed about my new 802 ac powerhead. I can drain the tank with it until I fiugure out some kind of attachement. Now I am reading the
instructions and you are not to submerse the powerhead. Now this is a crock. I have never had a powerhead that was not submersible all the way.

It does not have a flowdirection piece that will allow me to point it near the bottom of the tank and don't have an undergravel filter......so why did I buy this powerhead again/.

MalawiMayhem
11-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Most Powerheads are submersible even though they state otherwise and have a water line level......it's to protect their own buts (company) in case anything malfunctions.....I think some countries also have different safety regulations, thus requiring certain lables placed on the product.

Chet
11-18-2002, 02:25 PM
I think it's good that the powerhead doesn't need to be submerged, atleast from the standpoint of using it for water changes. Then you can run tubing in and out of it and just lay it on the floor to do it's job, while you work the gravel vaccum attachment. Just take it down to the hardware store and head to the department with the clear tubing. There' bound to be a size of tubing that will fit snuggly over the powerhead intake and output, and you can buy reducer for connecting two different sizes of tubing, so that you can attach the powerhead size tubing to your python. Personally, I would use the python with your sink for vaccuming and refilling, and use the powerhead with the appropriate sized tubing just to change water. That way you've got two pieces of equipment going at once, and you don't have to worry about the reducer or taking the thing apart to refill. Hope that makes sense. Tell us how it turns out.