PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

foldgersowns
02-29-2004, 07:41 PM
I got a Red Oscar today, brought him home, put him in my aquarium, and he just kind of sank to the bottom and stayed in one place. He's been laying on his side all afternoon and not moving unless I put a hand or net close to him. I tried putting some food in the tank to see if he would start moving around, but he just watched it float by. He seems to be in good condition otherwise; he isn't missing any scales and his fins and eyes look good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

strawberrysue000
03-01-2004, 12:57 AM
your tank cycled? the right temp? without this info its hard to say.
He the only fish in the tank?

Pls get back to me about this soon!..

Sue..

foldgersowns
03-01-2004, 06:27 AM
the tank is right around 77 degrees and its got good filtration and ive changed the water...he is the only fish in the tank, but when he gets better i might give him some buddies. hes doing better this morning after i put some melafix and 2 tsp. of salt in the water last night.

Chris Garrett
03-01-2004, 07:16 AM
I'd say he's very stressed out.Leave the light off and leave him alone.If in a high traffic area ,put a blanket over the tank.I'd hope you have more than a 48hrs to take the floater back.
Good luck

cichgirl
03-01-2004, 07:46 AM
It's normal for oscars to take a few days to get used to a new tank. They tend to just sink to the bottom and can lay on their sides when they are stressed or upset. I wouldn't worry.. Don't feed him much of anything until he shows some interest, he'll come around.

foldgersowns
03-01-2004, 09:22 AM
k thanks so much

LadyMirage
03-01-2004, 10:51 AM
while i'm still new to all of this it sounds like hes just in shock mine did the same thing except he dove under the gravel and layed their and i had to move him out with a net i believe he laid on the bottom for about 12 or so hours

foldgersowns
03-01-2004, 02:44 PM
i think things are lookin up for the oscar...i put some brine shrimp in his tank and as they swam by him he sucked em right up and went searching for more =)

Jodie
03-01-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm SO glad I found this post! My fiancÚ and I just bought a red oscar and although he was fighting mad in the plastic bag, once he got into our new tank, immediately sank to the bottom and showed no signs of being responsive (except for breathing and eye movements.)

And then! Our automatic lights clicked off and he began to explore. Herrah! - we thought he was adapting to his new environment. But, 10 minutes later, we found him sitting at a 45 degree angle on the bottom and has been there ever since.

Before we bought him, we made sure our tank was fully-established (8 months with just plants!!) and although are temp is a little high (80 - due to uncontrollable room temp) and a pH test showed around 7.5, we thought our tank was ready for our first fish - a red oscar cichlid.

So, thanks for giving us hope. Even as I type, Aryn tells me that he's began to move about a bit. yay!

Cheers!
Jodie

strawberrysue000
03-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Welcome..Oscars make great fish pets..they are very social fish.
He will take some time tot get used to his new home..but keep an eye on him.
Try to get that temp set and stable for him.hope your tank is no were near sunlight or heat vents will be hard to get it just right..try to go down a little bit by bit..but some fish will adapt.

Ive had to take down tanks for that reason to well lit a room,and near windows is not good..Great for the plant though I bet..lol

That brings me to another mention of concern! you might not have many plants left in that tank with a Oscar..he will most likely rip, uproot and move those plants soon, especially when he gets a good size..looks nice but Oscars are usually not put in fully planted tanks..he will be redecorating before you know it!!

Happy hobbying!

strawberrysue000
03-02-2004, 12:08 AM
just thought of something else..Im sure you hung the bag with him in it before placing him in the tank..right?..
this should be done for about 1 half hr or maybe more.
This is so the fish will get used to the change in water temp and so on..he might have come from a 76-77 to a 80+ would be very stressfull for him..
keep a close watch on him..and if he is breathing heavy and not coming up at all..Do small water changes..10-15% with a lower temp water,but dont go any more than 2deg lower you dont want to shock him more..this might help cool the water a bit, and stablize it, and get him moving around.
just do this a couple of times a day..

sue..

foldgersowns
03-02-2004, 02:17 PM
mine is up exploring now when the lights are out but when someone walks past the tank he goes and hides behind a rock. hes a lil shy =)

Jodie
03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Well, after my last post, ours was out and about in the tank roaming around in the dark. When I woke up this morning, he was still swimming around, but had eaten all the little snails in the tank. Not that I cared for the snails, but he may have indigestion, because for the rest of the day he has gone back to lying on the bottom.

Re: equalizing temperatures, yes we did float the bag for 45min etc... Because we've left the lights out for him, the tank temp is down to 75, which I suspect he likes better.

Vip
03-08-2004, 07:27 AM
dont just leave the bag on top to get used to the water temp, get a cup of water from your tank and pour it into the bag were your oscar is, because its a hell of a stress for a fish to go to differnt breathing water conditions, 20mins is long enough to get a look around then another ten with tank water added, then turn off your lights and let him out, after all you guys did say when the lights were off they did come out :)

Vip
03-08-2004, 07:31 AM
this is a picture of my baby oscar he has been this active since day 2, day 1 he was stressed because of my larger oscar but my large oscar was just checking him out thats all.