PDA

View Full Version : Juvie Yellow Lab Beat Up Bad

Sunster
02-29-2004, 10:43 AM
I placed three juvie labs in my 75g tank yesterday afternoon. The only other occupants were two jumbo danios and Ernie - my bristlenose. The danios chased and tormented the male lab - he found a cave and hid immediately. This morning right after feeding he emerged from his cave and was bleeding from his side and bottom. He was scraped up really bad. He began floating on his side etc. It was so severe that I had to put him down. :bawl: Could the Danios have caused him to do this in his attempt to get away from them? I have placed them in my 15g community tank with neons and tetras - with a watchful eye.

Thank you for any comments - feedback....Sunster

kevinpaz
03-01-2004, 07:01 PM
i'm having pretty much the same problem - maybe the thread will provide some insight: http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5103

2petuniasmom
03-02-2004, 12:02 PM
So sorry to hear about your fish, Sunster.

I do not think your Lab did this to himself during escape. I think the danios did this to him. They clearly did not like the addition of the labs to their tank. It was a wise choice in moving them out before they bothered the other lab.

Right now I have some of my mother's fish in my tank until they grow a little (now about 1.25 inches). Her tank actually has smaller fish than mine and is a larger tank, but the current residents took after the albinos that were added. I brought them to my house, and they have been doing well and are unbothered. Go figure!

I always watch new additions with a net in hand, even then sometimes things end badly. I added a fish a little over a week ago and it took after my holding OB zebra....she died the next day :(

Again, Sorry about your fish :(
Julie