PDA

View Full Version : pacu and severums

Big Whattie
02-28-2004, 03:23 PM
i have to severums and a pacu would they be ok together if any one has tried then let me know or if they have suggestions

Rex Karr
02-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Pacu and Severums should make excellent tank mates. However, knowing your current setups, I think you should return the Pacu as fast as you possibly can.

I'm sure you know how large of a fish that Pacu are, so I'm a little confused as to why you have one in the first place. This is one of those fish (just like Red tail Catfish and Clown Knife fish) that should only be kept by those who have the means of housing a 30" fish. It sounds big on paper, but its actually HUGE when you see it in real life.

Vip
02-29-2004, 06:57 AM
what type of fish is a pacu, i seen your site rex with your tank pics and it rocks, but the only fish i can think of that it looks like a pirahna

Rex Karr
02-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Yes, Pacu are a South American Characin closely related to Piranhas. They are essentially huge omnivorous Piranhas that do not have the vicious tendencies of their smaller cousins. The meat in their diet comes from smaller animals such as shrimp and insects.

Pacu are great aquarium fish and can live with fish a tiny fraction of their size. I have a 4" Nicraguense and a 5" Tuba cichlid together with my 22" Pacu.

Big Whattie
02-29-2004, 07:12 PM
well one problem i didn't but him a man that was moving along way away from here gave him to me he also had one severum in a difernt tank he gave me to and i already had one severum and i like the pacu but i am really trying to get a 175 gallon soon so would that be alright?

Big Whattie
02-29-2004, 07:15 PM
i mean i didn't buy the pacu

Big Whattie
02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
they man said he was goin to have to kill him if i didn't take him so i took him i don't like to see fish die

Rex Karr
02-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Ah, I see. But no, a Pacu will need a 400g aquarium at minimum. This is equivalent to an oscar in a 55g. It is ok, but far from optimal. You have 3 choices, either start looking for a huge aquarium, begin construction of an indoor pond, or immediately begin trying to give the fish away to someone who can properly house it. Where do you live?

Big Whattie
03-04-2004, 08:20 PM
i live in southern georgia, waycross