PDA

View Full Version : New 77gal Tank

Oscar
02-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Well, I finally got my tank, :party: With fluval404 filter looks great, took forever to fill using a pitcher. :wink:
I will definately be getting a syphoning hose for water changes.

If your thinking of getting a tank or stand from pjs, better make sure you get the right one as these jokers dont like to refund your money. I bought the tank at Petsmart, they didnt have a stand for it, so I get one at pjs, well the stand is too small by a few inches, ok so I take it back, they say they dont have one, and can only give me a credit because I set it up and threw away the box. Turns out I had to return the tank to petsmart, get full refund which they were really cool about. Guess where im shopping from now on!! Not Pjs!! :mad:

Then I had to buy the tank from pjs in order to get my tank and stand. There policy sucks!! Any way, tank and stand look great, not what I had in mind but my Oscars will love it im sure.

Any one know how often a fluval filter 404's charcol and stuff should be changed, The 2 oscars are only around 3" and growing!! :party: :ok:

Poet8102
02-28-2004, 09:52 AM
I am not sure, as I don't use anything but foam in all of my filters. Also I would get at least one H.O.B. filter to supplement the canister. Probably an AquaClear or something comparable.

Oscar
02-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Hob? Not sure what you mean, but I agree, second filter is a good idea, although cash would also come in handy. LOL
Things arent cheap!!

didjyman
02-28-2004, 06:35 PM
I would change the carbon once a month. H.O.B = Hang On the Back or more commonly power filter i.e. Marineland Emperor 400 or Hagen AquaClear 500. :ok:

didjyman
02-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Check out this link for cheap prices, they are out of Canada.

http://www.bigalsonline.com

Oscar
02-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks, actually I met a guy who used to work at Big Als, Some reasonable prices, but kinda far from me.
I will have to get a second filter when I can afford it as this whole set up cost a fortune. Well in my budget anyway.
Any suggestions? I also want one that can second as a vacuum to clean the bottom of the filter, kinda like a vacuum with attachments. Any advise would be great!!

entombed
02-29-2004, 04:53 PM
I would throw out the carbon and use the space for more bio filter material.

Oscar
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
what is bio filter material? Im not sure what it is.

cichgirl
03-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Actually, I would highly recommend an AquaClear 300-500 to supplement for the oscars... You can just run it with 2 sponges or add the carbon insert if you prefer - - not nessesary though.. The AC will provide good movement & surface aggitation & additional filtration and they are pretty quiet for hobs. I don't use carbon much anymore either. Experienced people here have helped me to realize that carbon really only "polishes" and becomes a great place for your good bacteria to colonize only to be ripped out and thrown away after a month... I've had good luck with no carbon so far.... Problem is getting over years of "knowing" that you need carbon lol....

As for bio filter material, some people add anything to their filters that could help to buffer the water or to create additional surface area for your beneficial bacteria to colonize (good thing to have with oscars) for example...

Oscar
03-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks cichgirl, looks like a pretty good filter, the 500 model looks more like what I will need, they recomend this one for up to 75gal tanks. Thanks again!!

83Street
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
I say you go with an Emperor 400 as opposed to a AquaClear. It is the only power filter with the BioWheels that is efficient, reliable, and most of all, quiet. PetSolutions.com are having a sale right now for Emperors for only $40 plus S&H, which is a steal considering it goes for double or more sometimes.

Oscar
03-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks 83Street, I will have to look into one of these, looks pretty good, but im curious, doesnt it work better with a gravel filter?