PDA

View Full Version : the case of the disappearing african clawed frog

Overawed
11-16-2002, 02:47 PM
This is weird. My albino clawed frog has disappeared out of my 90g. I cannot find him anywhere. There is no evidence of him being dead and eaten in the tank and I cannot find him outside of the tank. Its a mystery. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I am speechless and very depressed. I loved my froggy. :(

SGypsyMermaid
11-16-2002, 03:22 PM
sorry OA--they probably ate him without leaving a trace. but the bright side is, if he had grown to adulthood, he probably would have eaten some of them! :shock: . glad you stopped in for a visit.

Noelemac
11-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Sorry about the disaperance, sounded like a neat addition.

SGypsyMermaid
11-16-2002, 10:38 PM
i had frogs in with my juvenile cichlids and they disappeared also...but i found them later...one was inside of a tub that i used to store rocks, plastic plants, etc. that had been removed from tanks. the tub was right near the tank. the other one i found across the room, flattened out and dessicated underneath a big bag of fabric!

Overawed
11-17-2002, 09:25 AM
sorry OA--they probably ate him without leaving a trace. but the bright side is, if he had grown to adulthood, he probably would have eaten some of them! :shock: . glad you stopped in for a visit.

Actually, she was a fully grown adult frog, and she got along spledidly with the rest of the tanks inhabitants. To make matters worse, my last female Red Zebra comitted suicide last night and jumped out of the tank :oops: :bawl:

SGypsyMermaid
11-17-2002, 10:39 AM
oh boy, you are catching it! :bawl: does the tank have no cover?

StructureGuy
11-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Thirteen years ago my (then) 4 year old son went to the "Center of Science and Industry" which is a local smithsonian of sorts. He got a coupon to send in for a free tadpole. We sent in the coupon and got a one inch plastic cube that supposedly held an african clawed frog tadpole. It was so small that you could hardly see it and we had to feed it drops of a liquid for food. It grew to where we could actually see it and we put it into a ten gallon tank. My son fed it on the rare occasion that he actually thought about it. I felt bad about that and took over after a year or so.

The frog grew large to where we bought a dozen feeder goldfish every three weeks for him to swallow whole. Then I made the mistake of putting a corydora in there. We found him dead with the catfish half swallowed probably done in by the catfish spikes.

Kevin

SGypsyMermaid
11-17-2002, 12:47 PM
cripes!! that would have been a good addition to the "got a wild fish tale...?" thread. :lol:

Overawed
11-17-2002, 01:12 PM
I'm looking at my Pheno fry during a break from my photo session when all of the sudden a feeling comes over me. A feeling that I will find the frog soon. I walk into the den to get my camera, and right beside my computer area on the floor covered in dust bunnies is froggy. :shock: :D :shock: :lol:

She had been out of the tank for 3 days! :shock: She travelled all the way across my house! :shock:

I cleaned her up and placed her back into the 90g. She is shedding her skin has I type this. I have canceled the my days work to ready a hospital tank (my real hospital tank is now occupied by fry). Hopefully Rah will survive.

SGypsyMermaid
11-17-2002, 01:27 PM
great news!!--sounds like it's going to be a happy ending. :)

Overawed
11-17-2002, 03:50 PM
not exactly SGM :(

Rah (froggy) passed a few hours ago. :cry: :cry:

Being out of the water that long was just too much.

SGypsyMermaid
11-17-2002, 04:16 PM
awwww--sorry, kev. :bawl:

jonah
11-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear about Rah. :bawl: